Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Snapped earth behind socket, options?

On 28/08/2020 17:36, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No.
Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Interesting. Looking again, it says:

RoHS approved BASEC and BS6004 approved 100 metre coil. Insulated
earth which meets regualtions in the Republic of Ireland.

This implies the earth needs to be insulated in RoI but not in UK. Why
is this? What is the point of insulating the earth - unless maybe in
case someone connects it to the live by mistake. However, does
insulating it not make such mistake more likely as at present the
earth is clearly distinguishable by *not* being insulated.

Is an insulated earth permitted in the UK?

Dunno. I always thought the uninsulated earth in T&E was so that, if a
screw or nail went through it and nicked the insulation on live, there
was a good chance it would catch the earth and so trip the circuit one
way or the other.