Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default EV charging point cable question

On 27/08/2020 21:45, Tim+ wrote:
Getting a €śPod Point€ť 7 kW EV charger installed next week for my car.

Ive managed to place a €śpull-through€ť rope for the electrician when he
comes to do the install.

The quick and easy way for him to do it will be to drill through the wall
below internal floor level but above ground level and then have a 18-24€ť
vertical run of clipped cable to the charger.

Im not too keen on the look of a clipped cable on the front of our house
so am wondering about running channel up the wall on the inside, and then
have the electrician drill through behind where the Pod Point is going to
be mounted so that theres no visible cable.

Obviously there are considerations regarding running a cable like this
through a channel or conduit that will be plastered in and Im not au fait
with whats allowed and not allowed regarding routing/conduit/plastering
etc. In theory though, could it be done like this to conceal the cable?
The length of conduit would be 24€ť at most I reckon.

Buried direct in plaster will preserve the full "clipped direct" current
rating. but chances are you could drop in some conduit or channel
without any problem (current handling wise).

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible
accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible
if required. The alternative would be to protect it with decent steel
conduit, or thick capping, or use SWA etc, or bury it more than 50mm deep)

--
Cheers,

John.