Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EV charging point cable question

Getting a Pod Point 7 kW EV charger installed next week for my car.

Ive managed to place a pull-through rope for the electrician when he
comes to do the install.

The quick and easy way for him to do it will be to drill through the wall
below internal floor level but above ground level and then have a 18-24
vertical run of clipped cable to the charger.

Im not too keen on the look of a clipped cable on the front of our house
so am wondering about running channel up the wall on the inside, and then
have the electrician drill through behind where the Pod Point is going to
be mounted so that theres no visible cable.

Obviously there are considerations regarding running a cable like this
through a channel or conduit that will be plastered in and Im not au fait
with whats allowed and not allowed regarding routing/conduit/plastering
etc. In theory though, could it be done like this to conceal the cable?
The length of conduit would be 24 at most I reckon.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 21:45, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Buried direct in plaster will preserve the full "clipped direct" current
rating. but chances are you could drop in some conduit or channel
without any problem (current handling wise).

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible
accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible
if required. The alternative would be to protect it with decent steel
conduit, or thick capping, or use SWA etc, or bury it more than 50mm deep)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 27/08/2020 21:45, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Ah, so buried in plaster is better than conduit from the de-rating POV?

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible
accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible
if required.

It would be within 100mm of a vertical corner so I think its okay from
that point.

The alternative would be to protect it with decent steel
conduit, or thick capping, or use SWA etc, or bury it more than 50mm deep)

Thanks. Most helpful.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 27/08/2020 21:45, Tim+ wrote:

).

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible
accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible
if required.

Just had a thought. Inside the house it will be well within 150mm of the
internal corner. Outside though it would be about 400mm from the nearest
external corner. Do the zones apply inside AND outside?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 22:48, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 27/08/2020 21:45, Tim+ wrote:

).

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible
accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible
if required.

Just had a thought. Inside the house it will be well within 150mm of the
internal corner. Outside though it would be about 400mm from the nearest
external corner. Do the zones apply inside AND outside?

Tim

as long as your walls are at least 50mm thick, the cable on the internal
wall will be more than 50 mm from the external wall surface.

Plus you have a visible electrical accessory oputside (the charger) and
from what you describe, the cable will be going in horizontally through
the wall from internal to externally straight into the charger?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 22:15, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Buried direct in plaster will preserve the full "clipped direct" current
rating. but chances are you could drop in some conduit or channel
without any problem (current handling wise).

Ah, so buried in plaster is better than conduit from the de-rating POV?

Yup. Its reference method B rather than C:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cables#Cable_Sizes

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 22:48, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 27/08/2020 21:45, Tim+ wrote:

).

Note that it will need to be in a prescribed zone if there is no visible
accessory on the inside that might lead one to expect a cable to be there.

(Or it can go within 150mm of a vertical corner without anything visible
if required.

Just had a thought. Inside the house it will be well within 150mm of the
internal corner. Outside though it would be about 400mm from the nearest
external corner. Do the zones apply inside AND outside?

Outside the house, the cable will be (1) inline with a visible accessory
(i.e. the charger), and (2) buried more than 50mm from the surface, so
no need to worry.

--
Cheers,

John.