Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 17:26:56 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:37:46 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 11:09:25 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 8/24/20 10:30 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

[snip]

I'm curious to hear why you think cable encryption has anything to do with
getting "BOTH cable and antenna on the same TV".

Cable encryption means the TVs tuner is useless for cable, so you need
their box which doesn't use the tuner. Therefore, it is available for
antenna use.

Oh, I think I see. You were referring to a TV that has a single tuner that
can be used for cable _or_ OTA. I've never seen such a thing, but I assume
they exist.

Are you confusing tuners with inputs?

No, but on each of my last 4 TV's there has been two tuners, each with its
own input, and that seems to be different for Mark and his TV.

The only tuner I have ever seen was behind the F-59 connector. It has
a wide enough mouth to see all of the broadcast channels and the cable
channels if they are not encrypted.

OTA signals would require an ATSC tuner, while (encrypted/unencrypted)
cable signals would require a QAM tuner, right? AFAIK, both tuners can be
consolidated into a single module with a single 75-Ohm F59 input connector,
although I don't remember seeing that configuration. My TVs have two F59
inputs, although I use neither of them. I only use a single HDMI input on 3
TVs, and two HDMI inputs on the 4th TV.

The others are simply decoders
that present the component, composite, S-video or HDMI inputs to the
display processor. HDMI also includes DRM hardware. That is why
content providers push it.

I push HDMI because it uses a single cable for HD video and audio, so it's
super convenient. HDCP hasn't bothered me so far.