Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Aug 2020 09:14:04 -0400, Peter
wrote:

I've never owned either a digital to analog TV adapter (remember those
from the earliest days of digital broadcasting?) or a digital TV that
allowed me to manually add a channel I couldn't receive during a
complete scan/rescan. I could remove/add channels only to the list of
channels that were detected during the most recent complete scan.

Maybe you just assumed that was the case and didn't try. I find it
really hard to believe that a tuner that allows you to remove a channel
won't let you add one, just by punching in the channel number and then
doing what it takes to add it. Espeically since I think you're saying
you could add channels you had deleted.

That's why when a digital station changes it's broadcast frequency, you
need to do a rescan. You can't just punch in the new frequency on the

I agree that rescanning makes for more work, and I hadn't thought of
that, but doesn't rescanning make for even more work with your plan:

You suggested: "Have you tried mounting an omnidirectional antenna on
your tower, perhaps with a low noise uhf/vhf amplifier, connecting that
setup to your TV temporarily, re-scanning, and seeing whether you
receive all the stations you desire/expect? You might even be able to
find someone to loan those items to you, or allow you to purchase them
with a guaranteed refund if they are "unsatisfactory". Assuming it
does, then disconnect that setup, reconnect your rotor controlled
directional antenna and dial the rotor direction for each station
providing the best reception. Web sites, such as /www.antennasdirect.
com/transmitter-locator.html "

OTOH we had to rescan about a month ago and that was the first time in
more than 2 years. More than 5 years?

remote and receive the previously unused channel. The OP is using a

But you can punch in the same channel number and then add it.

directional antenna on a rotor that only detects the subset of all
potential channels that could be received, depending on which direction
he's pointing the antenna. He's trying to get all potentially viewable
stations on his scanned list, regardless of their transmitter's compass
heading from his antenna.

Yes, I got that. Then he plans to set the rotor in the right direction
for the station he is watching. Of course that means he'll have a list
of stations and directions which means if he has to rescan, he'll have a
list of all the4 stations he can get.