Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_36_] Peter[_36_] is offline

Default Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

On 8/24/2020 4:58 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2020 14:31:19 -0400, Peter
wrote:

On 8/24/2020 12:03 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 20:46:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We have an antenna tower with a antenna rotor.
How do I auto program the channels with the rotor in use ?
Every time you start the programming, it wipes the previous channels.

I want to be able to set the antenna in one direction, Search ...
Set the antenna in another direction, Search ...

It's going to be the same set of answers you got when you asked this
question a few weeks ago.

Disconnect and optionally remove the rotor. Add a second (or more) antenna
and use a combiner so that your tuner app thinks it's all a single antenna.

Use one of the OTA antenna websites to determine where the stations are
broadcasting from in your area.

Have you tried mounting an omnidirectional antenna on your tower,

Even without the other steps below, doesn't this sound like a lot more
time and effort than adding stations manually?

I've never owned either a digital to analog TV adapter (remember those
from the earliest days of digital broadcasting?) or a digital TV that
allowed me to manually add a channel I couldn't receive during a
complete scan/rescan. I could remove/add channels only to the list of
channels that were detected during the most recent complete scan.
That's why when a digital station changes it's broadcast frequency, you
need to do a rescan. You can't just punch in the new frequency on the
remote and receive the previously unused channel. The OP is using a
directional antenna on a rotor that only detects the subset of all
potential channels that could be received, depending on which direction
he's pointing the antenna. He's trying to get all potentially viewable
stations on his scanned list, regardless of their transmitter's compass
heading from his antenna.

perhaps with a low noise uhf/vhf amplifier, connecting that setup to
your TV temporarily, re-scanning, and seeing whether you receive all the
stations you desire/expect? You might even be able to find someone to
loan those items to you, or allow you to purchase them with a guaranteed
refund if they are "unsatisfactory". Assuming it does, then disconnect
that setup, reconnect your rotor controlled directional antenna and dial
the rotor direction for each station providing the best reception. Web
sites, such as /www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
www.antennaweb.org and others easily located with a web search can help
you determine if the strategy has been successful.