Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The mechanical bettery

On 23/08/2020 16:12, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:31:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 22/08/2020 19:42, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 22 August 2020 17:27:53 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

A single flywheel would surely equate to a cell, not a battery? (And
certainly not a bettery. We have far too many gambling ads already.)

The very term "mechanical battery" looks like a lame way of making a
well-known, long-established and understood technology, with many good
uses, sound like it is a new competitor.

Exactly.

Years ago on a flight in an aircraft packed with electronics, I asked
what the whining under the floor was: 'rotary converter: generates all
the power for the racks from the aircraft batteries' 'why not an
inverter?''Ever seen what happens to the battery voltage when you raise
the undercarriage?'

The spinning mass of turbines and generators on the grid is the only
form of short term storage it has.

Don't planes also spin up their wheels before landing ?

I have no idea. Not sure that this one did.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell