Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The mechanical bettery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 August 2020 17:27:53 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

A single flywheel would surely equate to a cell, not a battery? (And certainly not a bettery. We have far too many gambling ads already.)

The very term "mechanical battery" looks like a lame way of making a well-known, long-established and understood technology, with many good uses, sound like it is a new competitor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 11:42:47 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Saturday, 22 August 2020 17:27:53 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

A single flywheel would surely equate to a cell, not a battery? (And certainly not a bettery. We have far too many gambling ads already.)

The very term "mechanical battery" looks like a lame way of making a well-known, long-established and understood technology, with many good uses, sound like it is a new competitor.

Yup, like storing energy in a 'battery' of railway trucks on a slope
(ARES).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 19:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:39:31 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Many years ago I read an article on flywheel-powered shunting engines.
I think it was in 'The Eagle' comic, circa 1955, estimated from where
we were living at the time.

This may have been for use in chemical plants where there could be
explosive vapours. IIRC it's also been used in urban trams or buses. Not
that many new ideas around apart from some of the genuine quantum stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote
harry wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bull****
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel#Physics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 18:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

And clockwork springs.

Brian

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 02:19, williamwright wrote:
On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bill

Hmmm... there's a flywheel on my car engine that is not storing any
energy. Ah, it's not spinning! Maybe it's something to do with moment of
inertia and angular velocity. That seemed to explain it simply when I
was at school.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 08:55, mm0fmf wrote:
On 23/08/2020 02:19, williamwright wrote:
On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bill

Hmmm... there's a flywheel on my car engine that is not storing any
energy. Ah, it's not spinning! Maybe it's something to do with moment of
inertia and angular velocity. That seemed to explain it simply when I
was at school.

bloody dual mass flywheels...don't touch them...in fact don't touch a
small engine in a big car and you won't need one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 19:42, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Saturday, 22 August 2020 17:27:53 UTC+1, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

A single flywheel would surely equate to a cell, not a battery? (And
certainly not a bettery. We have far too many gambling ads already.)

The very term "mechanical battery" looks like a lame way of making a
well-known, long-established and understood technology, with many
good uses, sound like it is a new competitor.

Exactly.

Years ago on a flight in an aircraft packed with electronics, I asked
what the whining under the floor was: 'rotary converter: generates all
the power for the racks from the aircraft batteries' 'why not an
inverter?''Ever seen what happens to the battery voltage when you raise
the undercarriage?'

The spinning mass of turbines and generators on the grid is the only
form of short term storage it has.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2020 18:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Or maybe not...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53877433

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Many years ago I read an article on flywheel-powered shunting engines.
I think it was in 'The Eagle' comic, circa 1955, estimated from where
we were living at the time.

Flywheels have been tried as an energy storage device in modern hybrid
diesel locomotives. They resulted in a reduction in fuel consumption as
compared to a pure diesel, but not as much as a diesel/battery hybrid.

This may have been for use in chemical plants where there could be
explosive vapours. IIRC it's also been used in urban trams or buses. Not
that many new ideas around apart from some of the genuine quantum stuff.

Chemical plants often used fireless locomotives to avoid the explosion risk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Many years ago I read an article on flywheel-powered shunting engines.
I think it was in 'The Eagle' comic, circa 1955, estimated from where
we were living at the time.

This may have been for use in chemical plants where there could be
explosive vapours. IIRC it's also been used in urban trams or buses. Not
that many new ideas around apart from some of the genuine quantum stuff.

http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/ then look at the technology page
(don't seem to be able to link directly).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bettery?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"harry" wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about the ones where you pump water to the top of a hill? The lift on
the cliffs at various places around England were operated by counterbalances
witch were filled or drained of water.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the bascules
of Tower bridge.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Don't know about locomotives , but for road transport ,they came to an
abrupt abondonment. All is fine until there is an accident. The flywheel
dislodges and continues like a much more energetic panjanderam,
demolishing everyone and everything in its very long path.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 12:13, N_Cook wrote:

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

Don't know about locomotives , but for road transport ,they came to an
abrupt abondonment. All is fine until there is an accident. The flywheel
dislodges and continues like a much more energetic panjanderam,
demolishing everyone and everything in its very long path.

These never caught on either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

....but it doesn't con men trying...

https://www.litmotors.com/

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 12:34, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 23/08/2020 12:13, N_Cook wrote:

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

Don't know about locomotives , but for road transport ,they came to an
abrupt abondonment. All is fine until there is an accident. The
flywheel dislodges and continues like a much more energetic
panjanderam, demolishing everyone and everything in its very long path.

These never caught on either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

...but it doesn't con men trying...

https://www.litmotors.com/

...but it doesn't _stop_ con men trying..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 12:06:13 +0100, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Bettery?
Brian

It's a South African electrical storage device.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 05:15, Rod Speed wrote:
williamwright wrote
harry wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bull****
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel#Physics

Now you see, in your haste to be rude, you've missed my point. Why does
a moving object have energy to give away? Moving relative to what? I
personally am travelling very very fast indeed relative to certain other
bodies in the universe, but I'm stationary relative to the Earth.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 14:45, williamwright wrote:
On 23/08/2020 05:15, Rod Speed wrote:
williamwright wrote
harry wrote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bull****
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel#Physics

Now you see, in your haste to be rude, you've missed my point. Why does
a moving object have energy to give away? Moving relative to what? I
personally am travelling very very fast indeed relative to certain other
bodies in the universe, but I'm stationary relative to the Earth.

That's the essence of the "twin paradox" (often misstated). If motion is
relative, why is it the twin in the spaceship who ages less fast?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 17:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 15:12:20 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

The spinning mass of turbines and generators on the grid is the only
form of short term storage it has.

Don't planes also spin up their wheels before landing ?

I don't think so. I once read that it's the commonest suggestion made
to aircraft mfrs, but they don't adopt it for some reason. The fact
that there's always a pronounced shriek when the tyres hit the tarmac,
and that the first 100 ft or so of landing runway are a mass of rubber
streaks, also suggests they don't spin up the wheels.

They definitely don't. As you say, it has been suggested; I think the
problem is you have to carry the motor all the time, but only ever use
it for a few seconds. On an aircraft extra weight means more fuel
consumption.

fx googles

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/3702/why-are-aircraft-tires-not-pre-spun-prior-to-landing-to-preserve-them

suggests that one of the problems is the gyroscopic effect on handling.
And that at least one aircraft does do it on the nose wheel.
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:
That's the essence of the "twin paradox" (often misstated). If motion is
relative, why is it the twin in the spaceship who ages less fast?

ASPOI, the twin in the spaceship accelerates to change direction
and return, the stay-at-home does not.

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Many years ago I read an article on flywheel-powered shunting engines.
I think it was in 'The Eagle' comic, circa 1955, estimated from where
we were living at the time.

This may have been for use in chemical plants where there could be
explosive vapours. IIRC it's also been used in urban trams or buses. Not
that many new ideas around apart from some of the genuine quantum stuff.

http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/ then look at the technology page
(don't seem to be able to link directly).

2k5 rpm is unusually low. Buses use 50k rpm

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2020 12:13:37 UTC+1, N_Cook wrote:

Don't know about locomotives , but for road transport ,they came to an
abrupt abondonment. All is fine until there is an accident. The flywheel
dislodges and continues like a much more energetic panjanderam,
demolishing everyone and everything in its very long path.

Yes, though that's mostly solvable. 2 counterrotating flywheels in one casing with a mechanism to jam them together on impact.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 19:40, Max Demian wrote:
That's the essence of the "twin paradox" (often misstated). If motion is
relative, why is it the twin in the spaceship who ages less fast?

Ever thought I have these days seem to end in a cul de sac, and I have
to call it a paradox. Is all of life an unanswerable mystery?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 August 2020 12:34:19 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 23/08/2020 12:13, N_Cook wrote:

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

Don't know about locomotives , but for road transport ,they came to an
abrupt abondonment. All is fine until there is an accident. The flywheel
dislodges and continues like a much more energetic panjanderam,
demolishing everyone and everything in its very long path.

These never caught on either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

too many errors

...but it doesn't con men trying...

https://www.litmotors.com/

what's con about that?

The big issue people have with gyro balancing is that if things go wrong, stability is lost & carnage results. And IRL things go wrong & lawyers get greedy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There's no upside to prespinning the wheels, other than less tyre wear, which is trivial compared to the other differences. No pre-spin means a lighter cheaper mechanism, a little free braking on contact, and a brief period of reduced friction which helps with landing stability in crosswinds.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 August 2020 02:25:09 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
On 23/08/2020 19:40, Max Demian wrote:

That's the essence of the "twin paradox" (often misstated). If motion is
relative, why is it the twin in the spaceship who ages less fast?

Ever thought I have these days seem to end in a cul de sac, and I have
to call it a paradox. Is all of life an unanswerable mystery?

Bill

Sorry, that question is an unanswerable mystery

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The spinning mass of turbines and generators on the grid is the only
form of short term storage it has.
Don't planes also spin up their wheels before landing ?

I don't think so. I once read that it's the commonest suggestion made
to aircraft mfrs, but they don't adopt it for some reason. The fact
that there's always a pronounced shriek when the tyres hit the tarmac,
and that the first 100 ft or so of landing runway are a mass of rubber
streaks, also suggests they don't spin up the wheels.

They definitely don't. As you say, it has been suggested; I think the
problem is you have to carry the motor all the time, but only ever use
it for a few seconds. On an aircraft extra weight means more fuel
consumption.

Some aircraft had curved fins on the wheel that spun it up when it was lowered into the airflow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 16:12, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 09:31:48 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

I have no idea. Not sure that this one did.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2020 19:40, Max Demian wrote:
Now you see, in your haste to be rude, you've missed my point. Why
does a moving object have energy to give away? Moving relative to
what? I personally am travelling very very fast indeed relative to
certain other bodies in the universe, but I'm stationary relative to
the Earth.

That's the essence of the "twin paradox" (often misstated). If motion is
relative, why is it the twin in the spaceship who ages less fast?

The energy expresses what needs to be removed or added to make two
objects stationary *with respect to each other*.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 02:36, wrote:
On Sunday, 23 August 2020 12:34:19 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 23/08/2020 12:13, N_Cook wrote:

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

Don't know about locomotives , but for road transport ,they came to an
abrupt abondonment. All is fine until there is an accident. The flywheel
dislodges and continues like a much more energetic panjanderam,
demolishing everyone and everything in its very long path.

These never caught on either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_monorail

too many errors

...but it doesn't con men trying...

https://www.litmotors.com/

what's con about that?

The big issue people have with gyro balancing is that if things go wrong, stability is lost & carnage results. And IRL things go wrong & lawyers get greedy.

NT

The con is that, while it can balance, it can only be an impractical
novelty, and I'm sure that Daniel Kim (Lit Motors owner) knows that.
All these years and you just get a few seconds of video, usually without
sound and without tripod. It's noisy - maybe that could be overcome -
but it's constantly rocking about it's balance point, which can't be.

The gyros can only supply one-way torque for a limited time
(newton-metre-seconds?) before they hit their 'end-stops', no way round
that, so to balance, the thing has to actively push against a side force
so that its weight counteracts it. In the large Brennan prototype for
example, as the passengers move to one side, the car tips sideways the
other way to maintain balance.

If you push on it with a finger, it will actively push you back, I mean
actually move you back so that its weight balances against your finger.
Of course, that's how it automatically leans into a curve.

Imagine that in traffic with constant changing blustery side winds.
Imagine one stationary near a solid object and trying to squeeze past -
it would crush you.

I think Kim revived the idea with a view to getting lots of investment
and advance orders, he seems to have disappeared.

An interesting subject though. There have been a few prototype
vehicles, mostly very old, and Ford experimented with their 'Gyron'.
There are some youtube videos of home made toys using the idea, I think
a properly made say OO scale monorail would be fun, and maybe some sort
of fairground ride - the idea of using a wire rope as a bridge is appealing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Gyron
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocar

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 10:02, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 18:23:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

All is fine until there is an accident. The flywheel dislodges and

continues like a much more energetic panjanderam, demolishing

everyone
and everything in its very long path.

Yes, though that's mostly solvable. 2 counterrotating flywheels in one
casing with a mechanism to jam them together on impact.

Er, Where does all the kinetic energy go? OK in theory you have equal
an opposite amounts so they "cancel out". But two identical cars
traveling at the same speed in opposite directions into each other
end up a right mess disspiating their kinetic energy,

I think you'd get a big BANG, the desruction of the flywheels and
generation of lots of high speed shrapnel. The latter might be
possible to contain, they manage it with blade failures on jet
engines.

Yes.The problem of energy storage and safety is simple. If it all gets
out at once - BIG trouble!

That is why coal and uranium are so good. Its bloody hard to get it all
out at once.

diesel level hydrocarbons are a decent compromise as is petrol

hydrogen and batteries and flywheels are plain dangerous.

As is water-up-a-hill.
To an extent large fixed installations can be remote and built strong,
but transport needs low weight and that means compromising safety

--
"The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow witted
man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest

- Leo Tolstoy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Many years ago I read an article on flywheel-powered shunting engines.
I think it was in 'The Eagle' comic, circa 1955, estimated from where
we were living at the time.

Turning corners must be interesting if the wheel is vertical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 10:05, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 24/08/2020 02:36, wrote:
[...]

Wasn't there a totally above the rail (no counterweights below)
gyro-stabilised monorail system somewhere, Ireland ISTR?

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2020 10:59, Radio Man wrote:
williamwright wrote:
On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

No-one seems to know why flywheels store energy. Not really.

Bill

Angular momentum.

That's just words.

Bill