Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The mechanical bettery

On Sunday, 23 August 2020 22:00:35 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 23/08/2020 17:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 15:12:20 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

The spinning mass of turbines and generators on the grid is the only
form of short term storage it has.
Don't planes also spin up their wheels before landing ?

I don't think so. I once read that it's the commonest suggestion made
to aircraft mfrs, but they don't adopt it for some reason. The fact
that there's always a pronounced shriek when the tyres hit the tarmac,
and that the first 100 ft or so of landing runway are a mass of rubber
streaks, also suggests they don't spin up the wheels.

They definitely don't. As you say, it has been suggested; I think the
problem is you have to carry the motor all the time, but only ever use
it for a few seconds. On an aircraft extra weight means more fuel
consumption.

fx googles

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/3702/why-are-aircraft-tires-not-pre-spun-prior-to-landing-to-preserve-them

suggests that one of the problems is the gyroscopic effect on handling.
And that at least one aircraft does do it on the nose wheel.
Andy

There's no upside to prespinning the wheels, other than less tyre wear, which is trivial compared to the other differences. No pre-spin means a lighter cheaper mechanism, a little free braking on contact, and a brief period of reduced friction which helps with landing stability in crosswinds.

NT