Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The mechanical bettery

On Sunday, 23 August 2020 11:03:20 UTC+1, Graham Harrison wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 21:34:03 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 22/08/2020 19:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 18:39:31 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 22/08/2020 17:27, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QLEERYS5C8

Flywheels aren't the only mechanical batteries available. There are
gravity based batteries like the "accumulators" used to work the
bascules of Tower bridge.

Many years ago I read an article on flywheel-powered shunting engines.
I think it was in 'The Eagle' comic, circa 1955, estimated from where
we were living at the time.

This may have been for use in chemical plants where there could be
explosive vapours. IIRC it's also been used in urban trams or buses. Not
that many new ideas around apart from some of the genuine quantum stuff.

http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/ then look at the technology page
(don't seem to be able to link directly).

2k5 rpm is unusually low. Buses use 50k rpm

NT