Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Computer monitors?

On 21/08/2020 13:26, Theo wrote:
Mathew Newton wrote:
I forgot to add: don't assume bigger is always better... I sometimes use a
49" super-ultrawidescreen (32:9, 3840x1080) Samsung CHG90
(https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/curved-chg90d/) at work and really
quite hate it. The reduced vertical resolution as a bit limiting and,
frankly, I never go near the far sides as it feels like you're working on
someone else's desk when you do! Probably great for gaming - which I
think is it's target market - but somewhat deficient for 'normal' use.

Urgh, I can't imagine why you'd want 49" 3840x1080. I suppose it might be
good for films, but that's about it.

A 40" 4K monitor (which is same horizontal res as above, double vertical
res) works out the same pixel density as four 20" 1080p monitors. A 43" 4K
as four 21.5" 1080p. That means you don't need any fancy pixel scaling
settings, you can just use it as if it's four small monitors, without
bezels, glued together.

4K panels are cheap now - a 4K TV is £250 at Argos these days. TVs aren't
necessarily great as monitors for various reasons, but they're often 'good
enough', especially for domestic use.

Theo

The sticking point is the underlying panel technology for todays
4K TV's and monitors. Many seem to be VA or MVA, which ??don't have
the best viewing angle compared to IPS.

I notice the Sony and LG are now selling 48 inch OLED TV's, which
might make an interesting monitor.