Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Zanzibar effect

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 22/08/2020 17:45, NY wrote:
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 14:58:08 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
who has got caught out by the Zanzibar effect when calibrating
things..me
for one

What is the Zanzibar effect? I can't find anything on Google so it's
evidently not a widely-known term.

Zanzibar time : https://tinyurl.com/suqbk29

Basically, a circular calibration process. A calibrates his instrument
against an instrument owned by B, who unbeknown to A, calibrates his
instrument against A's.

Interesting that googling for the phrase as quoted "zanzibar effect" does
not produce any matches. Lots of matches for the country of that name,
but nothing else. Even googling for "zanzibar time" or "zanzibar effect
time" doesn't produce any matches.

I can understand the problem of circular calibration, but I'd never have
been able to discover or even guess what it was from the phrase, assuming
I hadn't already heard of it.

https://metrology.wordpress.com/stat...-traceability/

Yes, there are references out there. It's strange that none of them (as far
as I can find) seem to be findable by Google. Was there anyone else who's
read this thread who had never heard of it and yet was able to find out what
it meant? Am I just crap at being able to "drive" Google?