Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Computer monitors?

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 13:53:57 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 21/08/2020 13:33, Theo wrote:
In uk.d-i-y newshound wrote:
I'm definitely going for two screens because I routinely run two
(sometimes three) machines at the same time. I already have a
Datacolour calibrator. Will *probably* go 27 inch becase I'll be
keeping the 22 inch LG and Amazon's stand for 2 x 27 isn't silly
money. I'll probably be mounting it on one of my three sided "raisers"
that keyboards and laptops live under.

It's worth looking at picture-in-picture capability. That provides you
the ability to display multiple inputs if you want, and have one
machine take over the display if you want. For example my 40" 4K panel
can do up to 4 inputs shown at once.

In 1-way PiP the second input is scaled to a window in the top right of
the screen, overlaying the main input. I use this quite a bit for eg
setting up Raspberry Pis, where I'm not fussed by perfect image quality
but just want to see what I'm typing.

Theo

Good point, I had not thought of that.

Playing with Pi's and/or Arduino is one of the things I havn't quite got
around to doing yet. But it's well worth thinking about future proofing.

I have a 4K monitor with multiple inputs but haven't had the time to
understand how to get it working on these yet.

Intention was to replicate what I have at this location, which is 22" main
HD monitor in landscape and 15" second monitor in portrait.

This works well.

Haven't yet got to the stage where W10 will drive two virtual monitors
from two outputs to the single screen.

Could partition a single screen but this gets compromised if you want a
window to go full screen.

Cheers

Dave R