Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fiat Uno Newsletter Fiat Uno Newsletter is offline

Default 1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally

On Thursday, August 21, 2003 at 3:32:44 PM UTC+2, Dan Musicant wrote:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:41:52 GMT, Dan Musicant
wrote:
:On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:13:22 -0700, "Bob May"
:wrote:
:
::The paint needs curing and that takes a while at high temps. The stuff does
::stink a lot at the beginning and will eventually stop but it does want a
::fair bit of high temp time to get there. Header paint takes quite a few
::hours to finally stop its outgassing but much of that time it is kind of
::minimal and is acceptable on a set of headers. In the house, it may be bad
::smelling for a lot longer so do a good bake outside in the barbecue or other
::good heat source. I'll also note that the higher temp, the faster the smell
::goes away.
::For the griddle in the stove, I'd really suggest that you just take it to a
::chroming shop and have them nickel plate it again. This is just the first
::two steps of the chroming process so it will be a little cheaper (maybe $10)
::than a full chrome process and if you get the polish to where you want it
::before you give it to them and tell them not to polish it up anymore, that
::will probably save more. In addition, you may want to have a extra thick
::nickel but that is something that you may want to talk to the chrome plater
::about.
:
efinitely something to consider. I think now that the griddle cover
:will be OK in terms of smell if I bake it in the oven at 575 degrees an
:hour or two, which I did today to the in-oven sheet and I have a feeling
:that took care of the smell. It didn't smell that way after an hour or
:so. My biggest concern, I guess, is just that it will eventually get
:scratched up. Maybe I'll go in a shop or two and ask them what they
:would charge before painting the stove top stuff.
:
:Thanks for the ideas.
:
an
It still smells a little, but not much. Way less than even a few days
ago and it's not that objectionable. I figure that smell will eventually
go away or I'll stop noticing it...

Thanks for this thread and information! very useful info! I had the same issue applying heat resistant engine paint to cooking pots and pans.