Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Computer monitors?

On 20/08/2020 20:27, newshound wrote:
Currently using a 22 inch LG on the desktop and a secondary 19 inch for
laptops or when I power up one of the unix boxes.

Time I upgraded, thinking about a 27 inch main monitor and using the 22
as secondary, perhaps on one of the adjustable 2-monitor stands.

I don't do games, I do some photos and video but don't need professional
state of the art. Mainly I could do with bigger text for editing
especially with a couple of documents open.

I was surprised to see how cheap decent 27 inch screens are these days.
Not really limited by money, and I have a reasonably big desk so could
go bigger than 27 inch. By reorganising the printers and other boxes I
could have three monitors (I can easily build a custom stand).

What do people think about curved monitors? Seem like a strange idea to
me but I am very happy with various other Samsung stuff around the house.

I know it is a "piece of string" question but I'd be really interested
in the views of these groups. Currently have an old-ish Dell 490 as the
main box with a Radeon R7 200 series DVI card. This still seems to have
plenty of "oomph" for me at the moment.

Wow, great set of advice, thanks to everyone. Some pretty consistent
"themes" and some useful warnings.

I'm definitely going for two screens because I routinely run two
(sometimes three) machines at the same time. I already have a Datacolour
calibrator. Will *probably* go 27 inch becase I'll be keeping the 22
inch LG and Amazon's stand for 2 x 27 isn't silly money. I'll probably
be mounting it on one of my three sided "raisers" that keyboards and
laptops live under.

I already had the Dell ultrasharps on my initial shortlist (I had a good
Iiyama years ago). Tempted by IPS from other reviews.