Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer monitors?

On 21/08/2020 08:48, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 21 August 2020 at 05:15:59 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/08/2020 23:08, Mathew Newton wrote:
I'm used to not automatically maximising my windows and instead moving/sizing them around the screen estate available.

The beauty of Mint MATE (linux) is that I can have as many virtual
screens as I want.

Unless I need to have more than one window per task, I simply move whole
tasks onto another virtual screen, so I can have e.g. Windows under
virtualbox on one virtual screen, a mail and news client on another, a
browser on a third...

Yes, a common feature of many window managers I believe. Its not something I've ever really got on with, but then as above I could imagine if I gave it more if a chance and got used to it I might end up singing its praises. I can only assume the benefits are limited to multiple, discrete, windows and not a single app spread across desktops though?

Yes. It suits a multi-tasking role more than a compile-debug-run role.
e.g. I leave mail in one window, and when I get audible warning of new
mail, I switch and deal with it. Then go back to whatever else I was doing.

Its a bit guicker than minimising amnd maximised a window

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.