Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Computer monitors?

I did not see the OP, so will reply here...

On 20/08/2020 21:58, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Thursday, 20 August 2020 20:27:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Currently using a 22 inch LG on the desktop and a secondary 19 inch
for laptops or when I power up one of the unix boxes.

Time I upgraded, thinking about a 27 inch main monitor and using
the 22 as secondary, perhaps on one of the adjustable 2-monitor
stands.

I don't do games, I do some photos and video but don't need
professional state of the art. Mainly I could do with bigger text
for editing especially with a couple of documents open.

I was surprised to see how cheap decent 27 inch screens are these
days.

Yup, although many are the same resolution as their 24" cousins. So you
get bigger pixels rather than more information as such. However if what
you see is what you currently get only more magnified they can be a good
choice.

Not really limited by money, and I have a reasonably big desk so
could go bigger than 27 inch. By reorganising the printers and
other boxes I could have three monitors (I can easily build a
custom stand).

You mounts that take three or more screens.

What do people think about curved monitors? Seem like a strange
idea to me but I am very happy with various other Samsung stuff
around the house.

As the screen size gets wider, then it makes sense in applications where
you are sitting close to the screen - it keeps the eye to screen
distance consistent across the width of the display.

Not a bad idea, unless also want to be able to rotate the screen into
portrait mode from time to time.

I know it is a "piece of string" question but I'd be really
interested in the views of these groups. Currently have an old-ish
Dell 490 as the main box with a Radeon R7 200 series DVI card. This
still seems to have plenty of "oomph" for me at the moment.

When I needed a new monitor, I got a 27" flat - not curved.

But what has been more useful than I expected is the USB side. It has
standard USB which is useful for running a separate speaker, charging
cameras, etc. And USB-C which both charges and allows display from a
Surface. Can switch between computer and Surface quite easily.

Yup many have USB hubs at that level. Also many of the multi arm desk
mounts also include them, so you don't need to worry about the screen
having the feature so much if going for a multi monitor mount.

(the ones with gas lift arms are quite nice, but a bit more pricey)

--
Cheers,

John.