View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Computer monitors?

On Thursday, 20 August 2020 at 20:27:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Currently using a 22 inch LG on the desktop and a secondary 19 inch for
laptops or when I power up one of the unix boxes.

Time I upgraded, thinking about a 27 inch main monitor and using the 22
as secondary, perhaps on one of the adjustable 2-monitor stands.

I don't do games, I do some photos and video but don't need professional
state of the art. Mainly I could do with bigger text for editing
especially with a couple of documents open.

I was surprised to see how cheap decent 27 inch screens are these days.
Not really limited by money, and I have a reasonably big desk so could
go bigger than 27 inch. By reorganising the printers and other boxes I
could have three monitors (I can easily build a custom stand).

What do people think about curved monitors? Seem like a strange idea to
me but I am very happy with various other Samsung stuff around the house.

I know it is a "piece of string" question but I'd be really interested
in the views of these groups. Currently have an old-ish Dell 490 as the
main box with a Radeon R7 200 series DVI card. This still seems to have
plenty of "oomph" for me at the moment.

I went from two 19" 4:3 monitors (not sure of the resolutions) to a single 34" ultrawidescreen (21:9, 3440 x 1440) Samsung CH890 (https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/professional-ch890/) and wasn't sure how it'd compare. It's turned out to be superb and I can't imagine going back to separate monitors now that I'm used to not automatically maximising my windows and instead moving/sizing them around the screen estate available. You mention Unix boxes; I do find the screen size lends itself well to having a terminal window and gkrellm etc always open at one side for constant visibility/access without getting in the way.

The monitor is curved, which I wasn't fussed about either way when it was ordered, but now I think it does make you feel more immersed and it wouldn't surprise me if it might be easier on the eyes given the reduced refocusing.. Thinking back, I didn't have my two separate monitors parallel and so perhaps I should've expected this. It wouldn't surprise me if having such a wide screen in a flat format would be really missing something.

I'd definitely recommend it/similar, but I ought to confess that my employer paid for it (£500-600?) and so it is difficult to work out how to factor that in. If I had to come up with anything I don't like it'd have to be the poor user interface - a hidden joystick around the back and everything being menu driven so sometimes quite a few clicks to do something that could quite easily have a dedicated button (eg changing source input). I've used the picture-in-picture feature a few times to connect two PCs simultaneously which works well enough, but arguably not quite as well as two separate monitors would. I wish it had built-in speakers too, just for the little amount of audio I need and that it help keep the desk clear if it had. None of these issues are showstoppers for me though - I still love it, and I still think of it as a lovely piece of kit having used it for over a year now.

Mathew