Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Modern locks are a pest

Edan Crosby wrote in
:

понеділок, 25 травня 2020 р. о 18:20:39 UTC+3
Commander Kinsey пише:
On Mon, 25 May 2020 16:17:23 +0100, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:13:48 AM UTC-4, Commander Kinsey
wrote:

What happened to the good old mortice lock where you didn't have
to do

a dance with the doorhandle to get the key to turn?

I've found that's the case only with very cheap locksets. Have it
repla

ced
with a better lock.

I've found it with everybody's lock. To lock the door (or is it
unlock, I

can never remember which [1]), the handle has to be lifted first, as
the key doesn't have enough torque to move all 7 latches.

[1] That's the problem, if you forget which, you break the key or
mechani

sm.
So familiar to me. Although, I just found an online door lock shop
where they sell really durable privacy door locks that have a
protective mechanism so you know you'd never break one by a mistake.
I'll just leave a link to the example of what I'm talking about
https://vizilok.com/collections/privacy-door-locks.

Lubrication and adjustment are all that are needed.