Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default emergency tyre repairs

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 21:58:38 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 14/08/2020 17:36, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Pancho wrote:

I was told the reason they got rid of the spare wheel was partially
due to being able to quote better fuel efficiency.

Could be true. My main car has been one such for six years now. I had
one slow puncture which I reflated to get to a tyre shop where it was
plugged, one on holiday where I used the goo and then had to replace the
tyre. So maybe I have been lucky (not particularly high mileage). Can't
see how you would damage the rim, except perhaps that you don't have to
drive a deflated low profile tyre so far before you are on the rim.

My last but two car had no spare, it came with the bottle of goop and a
compressor, the latter was handy enough for slow punctures, but when I
had a blowout on the motorway, there was nothing the goop could have
done ... wait ages for flatbed recovery (included service from
manufacturer) get taken to only nearby tyre place that has required size
in stock, pay through nose, waste half of day.

Both cars since that one have space-savers which are "ok" I'll never buy
a car with no spare again.

I find it interesting that although the manufactures will give you a
bottle of goop but no spare tyre (ordinary or space-saver), they seem to
have a space in the boot for the spare tyre, and will often have one
available for you to buy as an optional extra!

My Seat Ibiza is like that. I threw away the evil goop and bought a
apare tyre instead. Only trouble was that the buggers had only
provided a big enough space for a 'space-saver' tyre.
--
Dave W