Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replacing a USB Connector

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:44:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 1:52:08 PM UTC-7, Mike Coon wrote:
Part of the problem that I foresaw is that the connector has to be
firmly fixed mechanically to withstand the forces of insertion and
withdrawal, possibly clumsily. Merely soldering may not be adequate!

Mike.

I decided that the micro USB connector looked too fragile to tolerate more than a few hundred insertions. My solution was to get a magnetic USB charging cable which almost completely eliminates the strain on the connector. The one disadvantage is that these do not provide any of the data connections, only ground and power.

I got a couple of those and really like them. Not only do they remove
much of the strain they also just snap on and rotate to boot. So no
twisted cables. Though the ones I use do prevent data transfer I
rarely transfer data from my tablets through USB. I mostly use
wireless or a micro SD card.
Eric