Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replacing a USB Connector

My 2011 Kindle's USB connector (B or C?) is broken. I tried bending it a bit,
but it seems it got worse. It seems really small, which frightens me. How
roomy are the sodler contacts? I'm hoping I won't need to really replace it
because sourcing everything is difficult in the pandemic. (Unless you tell me
Target or PC Richard have them, which they almost certainly don't. I haven't
seen a Radio Shack in several years.)

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Buy a new cable with two new ends.

Amazon has it in stock. As does Staples.

Price from US$8 to US$15 depending on which bells combined with what whistles you need.

Oh, and Target also.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, 14 August 2020 08:16:21 UTC-4, wrote:
Buy a new cable with two new ends.

Amazon has it in stock. As does Staples.

Price from US$8 to US$15 depending on which bells combined with what whistles you need.

Oh, and Target also.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

If the connector on the kindle itself is damaged, a replacement cable won't help. I stock a number of different style connectors all of which are surface mounted. A hot air station is best for replacement.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:14:12 PM UTC-4, Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Friday, 14 August 2020 08:16:21 UTC-4, wrote:
Buy a new cable with two new ends.

Amazon has it in stock. As does Staples.

Price from US$8 to US$15 depending on which bells combined with what whistles you need.

If the connector on the kindle itself is damaged, a replacement cable
won't help. I stock a number of different style connectors all of
which are surface mounted. A hot air station is best for replacement.

Yes, I quickly gave up on trying to replace a USB-B connector, not
having surface-mount expertise. Unless the connector itself is on a
small daughter board (which I have seen on some variety of tablet
recently) which can be purchased cheaply and easily replaced.

Mike.

If you don't have SMD experience, then changing that connector will be problematic. Most people can learn this with time, patience, and donor equipment to experiment on. I used to do these with a fine tip solder iron but now do them with hot air. You need a lot of heat so it can be done as quickly as possible. Also, bright light, magnification, and flux will improve the process.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

Part of the problem that I foresaw is that the connector has to be
firmly fixed mechanically to withstand the forces of insertion and
withdrawal, possibly clumsily. Merely soldering may not be adequate!

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 1:52:08 PM UTC-7, Mike Coon wrote:
Part of the problem that I foresaw is that the connector has to be
firmly fixed mechanically to withstand the forces of insertion and
withdrawal, possibly clumsily. Merely soldering may not be adequate!

Mike.

I decided that the micro USB connector looked too fragile to tolerate more than a few hundred insertions. My solution was to get a magnetic USB charging cable which almost completely eliminates the strain on the connector. The one disadvantage is that these do not provide any of the data connections, only ground and power.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:44:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 1:52:08 PM UTC-7, Mike Coon wrote:
Part of the problem that I foresaw is that the connector has to be
firmly fixed mechanically to withstand the forces of insertion and
withdrawal, possibly clumsily. Merely soldering may not be adequate!

Mike.

I decided that the micro USB connector looked too fragile to tolerate more than a few hundred insertions. My solution was to get a magnetic USB charging cable which almost completely eliminates the strain on the connector. The one disadvantage is that these do not provide any of the data connections, only ground and power.

I got a couple of those and really like them. Not only do they remove
much of the strain they also just snap on and rotate to boot. So no
twisted cables. Though the ones I use do prevent data transfer I
rarely transfer data from my tablets through USB. I mostly use
wireless or a micro SD card.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks. Yes, I haven't done much soldering in a few decades. It is on the
board and seems rather tiny and fragile. I tried to straighten it out with
tweezers and it seems to have broken or at least gotten pushed in. Certainly
the 2011 device is fully depreciated and its economic life has expired, but
I'm comfy with it. I guess opening it and trying once can't hurt if it's
already gone. Although my repairs usually require opening it, giving up then
a while later getting some inspiration to try again.