Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bennett[_2_] Bennett[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing a USB Connector

On 8/14/2020 5:09 AM, wrote:
My 2011 Kindle's USB connector (B or C?) is broken. I tried bending it a bit,
but it seems it got worse. It seems really small, which frightens me. How
roomy are the sodler contacts? I'm hoping I won't need to really replace it
because sourcing everything is difficult in the pandemic. (Unless you tell me
Target or PC Richard have them, which they almost certainly don't. I haven't
seen a Radio Shack in several years.)

The surface mount connectors are available on Amazon. Those I've seen
have solderable mounting taps to provide mechanical support.

But as others have noted, replacing this part is quite difficult unless
you have the appropriate equipment - a soldering iron is not enough.