Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohg...@gmail.com is offline

Default Replacing a USB Connector

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:14:12 PM UTC-4, Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Friday, 14 August 2020 08:16:21 UTC-4, wrote:
Buy a new cable with two new ends.

Amazon has it in stock. As does Staples.

Price from US$8 to US$15 depending on which bells combined with what whistles you need.

If the connector on the kindle itself is damaged, a replacement cable
won't help. I stock a number of different style connectors all of
which are surface mounted. A hot air station is best for replacement.

Yes, I quickly gave up on trying to replace a USB-B connector, not
having surface-mount expertise. Unless the connector itself is on a
small daughter board (which I have seen on some variety of tablet
recently) which can be purchased cheaply and easily replaced.

Mike.

If you don't have SMD experience, then changing that connector will be problematic. Most people can learn this with time, patience, and donor equipment to experiment on. I used to do these with a fine tip solder iron but now do them with hot air. You need a lot of heat so it can be done as quickly as possible. Also, bright light, magnification, and flux will improve the process.