Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default headers, how big? 6" 8" or 10"

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:23:43 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/13/2020 10:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 10:37:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/12/2020 10:07 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:40:44 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 22:25:17 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Greetings

I'm intending to add a two foot square window to a shed which is
being converted into shop space. The wall is load bearing, there is a
loft and the joist holding that up are attached to the studs I'll have
to cut.
So, header to spread the load. I'm reading about they need to be
wide (tall) enough: And they run from six to 10".
Recommendations?

Studs ? You need to cut more than 1 stud for a 2 ft. opening ?

You would if the studs were 16" OC and you want the 24" window in a space
where 2 studs exist.

Because????

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about.

For simplicity let's take a 4 foot wall. Studs at each end, with 2 in the
field, everything at 16" OC. I want to center a 24" window in that wall,
i.e. 12" from each corner. That 24" opening is going span the 2 studs in the
field, so they both have to be cut.

He did not state exactly where the window would be, did he? If you need
to put the opening in a specific spot, you might need to cut two studs,
but not necessity.

That is exactly what I said way back on 12th.

John T said: "Studs ? You need to cut more than 1 stud for a 2 ft. opening ?"

To which I replied: "You would if the studs were 16" OC and you want the 24"
window in a space where 2 studs exist."

Doesn't that sound almost exactly like your "If you need to put the opening
in a specific spot, you might need to cut two studs..."

I used the word *if*. I detailed the exact situation in which 2 studs would
need to be cut. I never said it was a necessity.

That's why your "Because????" question didn't make sense to me. I know you
know how to build a wall so I couldn't figure out why you were questioning
my description of when 2 studs would need to be cut. Maybe you missed my use
of the word "if"?