Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Graham Rob Graham is offline

Default Restoring 1970's planer - gearbox oil

I'm restoring a Cooksley 12x9 planer thicknesser from the late 1960's.

This has a separate thicknesser feed motor and gearbox, and it's very doubtful if the gearbox oil has ever been changed let alone topped up.

The gearbox has a 14:1 ratio from a two speed Dahlander wound motor.

Fortunately I've found a copy of the maintenance manual on the net, which calls up this oil "BP Energol GR 425- EP"

I can't find any mention of this oil or an equivalent - can any body give any guidance please.