Posted to rec.woodworking

Default headers, how big? 6" 8" or 10"

DerbyDad03 on Wed, 12 Aug 2020 10:49:05 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 12:52:22 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
on Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:45:27 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 22:25:17 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Greetings

I'm intending to add a two foot square window to a shed which is
being converted into shop space. The wall is load bearing, there is a
loft and the joist holding that up are attached to the studs I'll have
to cut.
So, header to spread the load. I'm reading about they need to be
wide (tall) enough: And they run from six to 10".
Recommendations?

Studs ? You need to cut more than 1 stud for a 2 ft. opening ?

If I am going to do a "proper frame up" I need at least 23 1/2" +
2* 1.5" = 26 1/2". Due to the original construction, cutting the one
stud leaves me with a gap 26 1/4". (Cutting the other stud give me ~
45" and I can fit something in there.)

What, in your mind, is a "proper frame up". Do you know what a king stud is?
A jack stud? A cripple stud?

Yep.

When you say "Cutting the other stud give me ~ 45" and I can fit something
in there" do you know what that *something* is called?

Yep. King studs, jack studs, an header, and a framing for a
window wider than 2 feet and less than 4 feet.

My point here is that we (or at least me) are having a really hard time
figuring out what you understand and what you don't. Maybe you know everything
there is to know about properly adding a header in a load bearing wall but
your responses don't make that clear. If you had said "Cutting the other stud
gives me ~ 45" and I'll put king studs where I need them", then we'd have a
better idea as to your level of knowledge. However, when you say you'll fit
"something" in there, well, we certainly have to wonder if you know what the
proper "something" is.

Sorry I didn't go into excruciating detail. Do you need to know
all the size nails I'll be using too?
--
pyotr filipivich