Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_10_] Jon Danniken[_10_] is offline

Default Rusty boat trailer

On 8/9/20 1:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Shrug..the cold galvanizing works. But you HAVE to kill the rust
before applying any covering. Else in a suprisingly short time...it
will start to bubble up as the rust grows under the covering. With a
rust converter..you really dont need to get down to bare metal, and
unless the rust is 1/4" deep...it sure works.

The cold galvanizing is not a primer..it can be used as
such..but...shrug...it will be hard to keep the top coat sticking to
it. You either paint or galvanize..generally not both.
As you can see from the pictures of the trailer under my DS2...it was
a rusty mass as well. Fortunately..I managed to catch it in time. I
live in the desert..so the occasional dip and fast dry..and the 5" of
rain we get here doesnt stress the cheap paint I put on it after wire
wheeling all the big chunks off.

Thanks Gunner, I had a feeling that was the case. I used some of that
on some house jacks I cooked up a few years ago that I just wanted to
slather with one coat of something. They weren't subject to any
abrasive forces, and the galvanizing worked great to keep the bare metal
from rusting under the house.

Jon