Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusty boat trailer

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 06:06:43 -0500, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 8/7/20 7:13 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 17:38:14 -0500, Jon Danniken
wrote:

Hi all, I'm looking buying a boat, but concerned about the trailer
(images can be seen he https://imgur.com/a/mtkIlST ). The boat
itself weighs about 600 pounds.

Is that trailer going to be fixed up with a flapper disk and some
primer/paint, or is it too far gone to consider being useful for its
intended purpose?

Jon

Looks like an ODay Daysailer or one of the clones. Good sailboats.

Your trailer..from the distance the photos were shot...appears to be
fine.

If you can sand blast it..do that. If you cant...a GOOD flap wheel on
a angle grinder will clean the rust up. It appears its been in
sal****er a few times..and in snow a fair amount. After getting it as
clean as you can..get a rust converter and paint it on.

https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/279...s-and-removers

Then hit it with either a 2 part epoxy or the good industrial Rustolem
paint. About a quart will do the job. 2" paint brush.

My Oday Daysailer II.

https://goo.gl/photos/qvUCNgSYoiTeiNaw8

Its not fully done..but it sails ok.

Some of my other boats..I currently have..8

https://goo.gl/photos/gaFkPC11Zs9Qn54Z9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6u6zqudTKo8s44S27

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTJGtbPsLjskuUfp9

https://goo.gl/photos/CWtpsL3UPsaixbqK8

its...its...its an addiction...
(Grin)

Thanks Gunner, it is indeed a DS1, small enough to transport but big
enough for fun. I don't have a blaster but that would probably be
easier than using the angle (if my compressor can keep up).

Speaking of finishes, I have used the zinc galvanizing rattle can
(rustoleum) before, have you ever used that stuff as a primer before
final painting? The only times I have used it was as the sole coat, but
I don't know if it sticks well enough for use as a primer.

Jon

Shrug..the cold galvanizing works. But you HAVE to kill the rust
before applying any covering. Else in a suprisingly short time...it
will start to bubble up as the rust grows under the covering. With a
rust converter..you really dont need to get down to bare metal, and
unless the rust is 1/4" deep...it sure works.

The cold galvanizing is not a primer..it can be used as
such..but...shrug...it will be hard to keep the top coat sticking to
it. You either paint or galvanize..generally not both.
As you can see from the pictures of the trailer under my DS2...it was
a rusty mass as well. Fortunately..I managed to catch it in time. I
live in the desert..so the occasional dip and fast dry..and the 5" of
rain we get here doesnt stress the cheap paint I put on it after wire
wheeling all the big chunks off.

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.