Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How do tradesmen earn a living?

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:30:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip
Yup. She bought 1m long x 6mm OD ally tube and first tested (mostly
for the S&G's) the rack (2 base tubes, one front tube higher up) by
assembling one at that length. Apart from it being too long at that
length for anyone practical in her kitchen, it proved it would have
required a central support (np with that, just print another end with
the holes right though). ;-)

Mine's 5, 6 or 8 feet long, I forget, can't fit em all onto it.

;-)

I wouldn't know what to do with something that held 12 schwartz jars!

'Little', I'm guessing. ;-)

Give it to someone that's not into spices I guess, someone that pays £1 for 12g of dried potplant.

Hehe.

If I had no practical skills I'd have a far poorer life.

Oh, indeed ... and I wonder how others can cope / survive.

I think they just become fodder. They pay through the nose over & over, can't solve their problems & can't afford to buy a house.

Yup, for sure that was very much part of the reason I was able to
afford this place on my own (just) on a single BT wage. Everything
that needed doing had to be done by me or it wouldn't get done. That
(of course) meant going to get the materials and disposing of the
waste (the latter not being quite so difficult as it is now).

I found out recently some people I know also had their fridge freezers insured. So when one dies, they've paid more in premiums than it would cost me to go out & buy one immediately, and they get the added bonus of having to wait several days to receive it while their food all goes off.

Yup, false economy that, *especially* if you are able to investigate
and fix the straightforward faults yourself.

But hey, I guess if we could all do everything there wouldn't be any
tradesmen. Everone to their own etc. ;-)

It would be a better world.

Well, there are some good conscientious / honest tradesmen out there
and they are typically the ones who are unavailable and who don't
drive big new Mercs when they come round to give you a (free)
estimate. ;-)

We just wouldn't benefit from free stuff.

Yup.

Cheers, T i m