Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do tradesmen earn a living?

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 02:11:24 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
When we were building the kitcar, as a special treat I let her grind
the valves in

You old romantic you.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 19:00:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 02:11:24 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

We tried the bring our daughter up with the same mindset ... she's a
person, not a girl or boy and therefore no reason why (again within
reason), she should be on the other end of the wardrobe getting it up
the stairs or servicing her own cycle / motorbike or car (and she does
all she can). When she was young I would take her motorcycling (on her
own bike) or to martial arts club and 'Mum' would take her ball room
dancing or to music lessons.

I am proud that she buys most of her clothes and furniture from the
charity shops, that she's happy with any hand-me-down smartphones I
can find her and that she gives most of her surplus stuff (inc
clothes) to the charity shop (mostly Isabel Hospice as that's where
her half sister died last year) and can paint and rearrange the
furniture in her own flat, rather than assuming she would need to get
'a man' to do it. I'm proud that we (this side of the family) have
taught her the real value of things, what's important, including
thinking of and caring for others. Being 'sensible / shrewd' with what
money she does earn means she can do more with what's left after
paying her rent and other expenses etc.

important life skills

We think so. ;-)

lacking in 99% of youngsters today

So it seems but then they have probably grown up in the most
'different' framework of any generation ever?

Like, my Uncle built me a go-cart and I was probably one of the last
to use one as many use kick scooters now, as both transport and
recreation.

I would also work it, if we needed a new fridge, it wasn't my Dad
tasked with going and getting it, 'Tim can get it on his go cart'.
Living near a railway station I also used to help locals home with the
luggage, if I was passing and they looked like they were struggling
and wanted.

I never thought of asking my Mum and Dad for a new bicycle (except
that probably would have bought me one if I wanted to use it to get to
school) so found an dumped one, handed it into the Police, collected
it 6 weeks later, rebuilt it and that was my bike.

So I learned to make the best of little and be inventive and luckily
some of that seems to have rubbed off on our daughter.

The other day she wanted an extended spice rack, saw the prices of
them, found some 3D models on Thingiverse, sent me the link and asked
me if I would mind printing 3 sets, ordered sufficient lengths of ally
tube she cut to length (asked me how and I sent her to Screwfix for a
small pipe cutter) and assembled and fitted 3 x 10 spice racks for
next to nothing. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 01:15:04 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 02:11:24 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
When we were building the kitcar, as a special treat I let her grind
the valves in

You old romantic you.

Well, actually, she saw it as such. ;-)

See, when no previous partner has never had the interest to share such
things with you, or trust you to do such a thing, when someone does,
see you as a 'person' and a true partner in life, apparently that's a
'good thing'.

It did have some unforeseen consequences ...

There we are, a new couple, just got into bed and she pulls out the
'AA Book of the Car' I bought her and just wants further explanation
on something ... ;-(

Soon after we first met we needed to get somewhere quickly (catch a
shop) and took my motorbike. She really loved it and *she* suggest we
get something bigger, so the CG125 went and in came an XT350, ;-)

Once she had been a pillion for a while (and was still loving it), I
suggested she took her test and we got her her own bike and again, no
one had given her such an opportunity before. And she really loves
(loved, arthritis) riding her bikes ... and has even taken herself off
a couple of times a couple of hundred miles to stay with her daughter
when she was an entertainer at a holiday camp. [1]

I don't think I've ever bought her flowers or chocolates but have
bought her accessories for her motorbike. ;-)

I guess because we have both been married before and been though all
that bs (never my idea), we are now comfortable as life partners
(although we did get married for 'legal simplicity' reasons).

I don't need to do anything to 'get away from the Mrs' (like play
golf, go fishing or go up the pub) because she's my mate. ;-)

And I wouldn't be with her if there was any chance of her being 'She
who must be Obeyed', as that's not the relationship we wanted.

Cheers, T i m

[1] When she came back from one trip around her 50th birthday to her
said she had a confession ... it was that she's had her first tattoo
on her shoulder. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2020 00:05, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 07/08/2020 03:36, williamwright wrote:
Â*Â* http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/aerialp...iy/index.shtml

Bill

Oh! It's you! I read some of your stuff online, years ago. *Years* ago!
Have you retired?

Yes, years ago. I'm actually dead now, but I took my laptop to heaven.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 23:03:23 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
Yes, years ago. I'm actually dead now, but I took my laptop to heaven.

That's a bit like sending Red Star Parcels on Northern Rail.

Will heaven forward it on to your ultimate destination?

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 22:28, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 17:10:12 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:58:02 +0100, GB
wrote:

I've just fitted a new tap to our kitchen sink. It took me nearly 4
hours. That did include altering the pipework. Plus puzzling over the
instructions on the rather complicated Bristan Easyfit tap. Great taps,
awful instructions.

But 4 hours! I'd expect to pay a plumber no more than £100-150, and that
might well include coming to quote first.

The bigger question is how often would they do as good a job as you
might (assuming a reasonable level of physical competency that is)?

my plasterer did a crap job (I wish I'd spotted some of the crapness before
he left)

Oh, the guys that did the plastering here were messy buggers but I'm
not sure you could be anything else at that workrate!

But it's still a million times better than I could have done

And that's the thing. Ok, I've done a fireplace where I've removed a
surround and hearth and re-rendered then plastered the chimney breast
etc but not a whole wall and certainly not a ceiling.

Oddly the first thing I ever skimmed was a ceiling. It turns out it was
not that much different from doing a wall (I figured if I could hack a
ceiling the walls ought to be "downhill" from there.

(Although I made very slow progress, and had to do it in two halves.
Needed a bit of sanding where the halves met)

Unlike the physical bit of wiring, plumbing, tiling, carpentry and
small bits of brickwork where you can generally read up and then do a
reasonable job, plastering really is an art.

Like many such things, it improves with practice. I normally find I am
getting "ok" just as the job is about over :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 10:35:16 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 19:00:05 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Spice racks are silly money for what little they are. And silly sized.
If I had no practical skills I'd have a far poorer life.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 01:58:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

And that's the thing. Ok, I've done a fireplace where I've removed a
surround and hearth and re-rendered then plastered the chimney breast
etc but not a whole wall and certainly not a ceiling.

Oddly the first thing I ever skimmed was a ceiling. It turns out it was
not that much different from doing a wall (I figured if I could hack a
ceiling the walls ought to be "downhill" from there.

;-)

In this place there seem to be three layers, a sand-cement render, a
rough plaster and finer skim? Because it's a Victorian 'Workers
Cottage' (or just typical of the tolerances in play in general at the
time) that combo can range from near nothing to over an inch thick.

(Although I made very slow progress, and had to do it in two halves.
Needed a bit of sanding where the halves met)

Still sound like a great first go.

Unlike the physical bit of wiring, plumbing, tiling, carpentry and
small bits of brickwork where you can generally read up and then do a
reasonable job, plastering really is an art.

Like many such things, it improves with practice.

Sure, but unlike say wiring, plumbing or basic carpentry where it's
really a matter of seeing how it's done and duplicating that process,
there are so many variables with full rendering / plastering (maybe
not so much with skimming) that any one not being right is likely to
cause big issues.

Like, even if you get the cement render on, is it shallow / flat
enough to allow for the plaster layer ... and that's ignoring keeping
it all plumb!

The render isn't so bad, once you know what constitutes the right
consistency as you can generally run a straight edge over it as it's
going off slightly and it doesn't matter about the actual finish.

I normally find I am
getting "ok" just as the job is about over :-)

Yup, till you have done enough of it like some of your woodwork you
have shared here. ;-)

But I understand that even with that, if you are doing a particular
piece for the first time that you wouldn't guarantee you wouldn't make
mistakes, simply because it's often easier to make a mistake than not
(even cutting the wrong side of a line, making an error in the
measuring maths etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 11:10:46 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 18:08:13 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 8 August 2020 11:43:39 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Once she had been a pillion for a while (and was still loving it), I
suggested she took her test and we got her her own bike and again, no
one had given her such an opportunity before. And she really loves
(loved, arthritis) riding her bikes

borax is good

Thanks for that. FWIW we get 150ug of Boron in our daily multivitamin
but the arthritis isn't the only reason why I'm quite happy she's not
on a motorbike nowdays. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

If that's micrograms that's nowhere near enough to be useful.
I'd have a bike if they weren't donorcycles.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 10:55:40 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 18:06:06 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

The other day she wanted an extended spice rack, saw the prices of
them, found some 3D models on Thingiverse, sent me the link and asked
me if I would mind printing 3 sets, ordered sufficient lengths of ally
tube she cut to length (asked me how and I sent her to Screwfix for a
small pipe cutter) and assembled and fitted 3 x 10 spice racks for
next to nothing. ;-)

Spice racks are silly money for what little they are.

Yeah, that was the feeling I got from daughter but not is such nice
words. ;-)

And silly sized.

Yup. She bought 1m long x 6mm OD ally tube and first tested (mostly
for the S&G's) the rack (2 base tubes, one front tube higher up) by
assembling one at that length. Apart from it being too long at that
length for anyone practical in her kitchen, it proved it would have
required a central support (np with that, just print another end with
the holes right though). ;-)

Mine's 5, 6 or 8 feet long, I forget, can't fit em all onto it. I wouldn't know what to do with something that held 12 schwartz jars! Give it to someone that's not into spices I guess, someone that pays £1 for 12g of dried potplant.

If I had no practical skills I'd have a far poorer life.

Oh, indeed ... and I wonder how others can cope / survive.

I think they just become fodder. They pay through the nose over & over, can't solve their problems & can't afford to buy a house.

I found out recently some people I know also had their fridge freezers insured. So when one dies, they've paid more in premiums than it would cost me to go out & buy one immediately, and they get the added bonus of having to wait several days to receive it while their food all goes off.

But hey, I guess if we could all do everything there wouldn't be any
tradesmen. Everone to their own etc. ;-)

It would be a better world. We just wouldn't benefit from free stuff.

Cheers, T i m

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:30:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip
Yup. She bought 1m long x 6mm OD ally tube and first tested (mostly
for the S&G's) the rack (2 base tubes, one front tube higher up) by
assembling one at that length. Apart from it being too long at that
length for anyone practical in her kitchen, it proved it would have
required a central support (np with that, just print another end with
the holes right though). ;-)

Mine's 5, 6 or 8 feet long, I forget, can't fit em all onto it.

;-)

I wouldn't know what to do with something that held 12 schwartz jars!

'Little', I'm guessing. ;-)

Give it to someone that's not into spices I guess, someone that pays £1 for 12g of dried potplant.

Hehe.

If I had no practical skills I'd have a far poorer life.

Oh, indeed ... and I wonder how others can cope / survive.

I think they just become fodder. They pay through the nose over & over, can't solve their problems & can't afford to buy a house.

Yup, for sure that was very much part of the reason I was able to
afford this place on my own (just) on a single BT wage. Everything
that needed doing had to be done by me or it wouldn't get done. That
(of course) meant going to get the materials and disposing of the
waste (the latter not being quite so difficult as it is now).

I found out recently some people I know also had their fridge freezers insured. So when one dies, they've paid more in premiums than it would cost me to go out & buy one immediately, and they get the added bonus of having to wait several days to receive it while their food all goes off.

Yup, false economy that, *especially* if you are able to investigate
and fix the straightforward faults yourself.

But hey, I guess if we could all do everything there wouldn't be any
tradesmen. Everone to their own etc. ;-)

It would be a better world.

Well, there are some good conscientious / honest tradesmen out there
and they are typically the ones who are unavailable and who don't
drive big new Mercs when they come round to give you a (free)
estimate. ;-)

We just wouldn't benefit from free stuff.

Yup.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 14:42:33 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:30:59 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip
[...]

I checked, it's 8'. Most people just seem to live with what they're offered & told without question. Dunno why.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 19:04:26 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:21:29 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

Thanks for that. FWIW we get 150ug of Boron in our daily multivitamin
but the arthritis isn't the only reason why I'm quite happy she's not
on a motorbike nowdays. ;-(

If that's micrograms that's nowhere near enough to be useful.

That's what we guarantee to get every day as a minimum, plus what we
get from our foods etc?

50mg a day split into 2 doses is more suited to treating arthritis. However I'm not a doc and not advising anything.

I'd have a bike if they weren't donorcycles.

The vast majority aren't and may would rather go that way than in a
tin box of boredom and isolation. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I get it. Just not where my fun comes from

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 11:54:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 14:42:33 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:30:59 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip
Yup. She bought 1m long x 6mm OD ally tube and first tested (mostly
for the S&G's) the rack (2 base tubes, one front tube higher up) by
assembling one at that length. Apart from it being too long at that
length for anyone practical in her kitchen, it proved it would have
required a central support (np with that, just print another end with
the holes right though). ;-)

Mine's 5, 6 or 8 feet long, I forget, can't fit em all onto it.

snip

I checked, it's 8'.

Cool.

Most people just seem to live with what they're offered & told without question.

So it seems.

Dunno why.

Insufficient skill / imagination?

Some people look at something and only see it for what it is.

Others might see it for what else it could be or for what it might
contain ... or be made of.

Years ago I bought a load of display equipment off the company I
worked for when they were having a clear out. I paid less for them
than (I knew) the ally was worth on it's own but in the end sold it
for more to a local college photography department for a fraction of
what they would have had to pay for anything similar elsewhere (inc
free delivery) and my preferred outcome. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 10:46, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 01:58:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

[...]

There are ways of cheating with that - like screwing up vertical battens
to the wall about 4' apart and getting them plumb and co-planer. Then
slap the render on, and rule it off using the battens. Let it go off a
bit and remove the battens, then fill in the gaps.

(you can even get metal beads designed for this job that you just leave
in place and they become part of the base coat)

The render isn't so bad, once you know what constitutes the right
consistency as you can generally run a straight edge over it as it's
going off slightly and it doesn't matter about the actual finish.

I normally find I am
getting "ok" just as the job is about over :-)

Yup, till you have done enough of it like some of your woodwork you
have shared here. ;

Well even then you make mistakes, but you just need to find ways of
fixing them as you go. (or turning them into a "feature"!)

But I understand that even with that, if you are doing a particular
piece for the first time that you wouldn't guarantee you wouldn't make
mistakes, simply because it's often easier to make a mistake than not
(even cutting the wrong side of a line, making an error in the
measuring maths etc).

Cheers, T i m

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 21:38:45 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Like, even if you get the cement render on, is it shallow / flat
enough to allow for the plaster layer ... and that's ignoring keeping
it all plumb!

There are ways of cheating with that - like screwing up vertical battens
to the wall about 4' apart and getting them plumb and co-planer. Then
slap the render on, and rule it off using the battens. Let it go off a
bit and remove the battens, then fill in the gaps.

Yeah, I have done that with floor screeds and seen 'them' doing it
with the galvanised corner beads.

(you can even get metal beads designed for this job that you just leave
in place and they become part of the base coat)

Cool (till you find one when trying to put a shelf up). ;-)

The render isn't so bad, once you know what constitutes the right
consistency as you can generally run a straight edge over it as it's
going off slightly and it doesn't matter about the actual finish.

I normally find I am
getting "ok" just as the job is about over :-)

Yup, till you have done enough of it like some of your woodwork you
have shared here. ;

Well even then you make mistakes, but you just need to find ways of
fixing them as you go. (or turning them into a "feature"!)

;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 20:03:19 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 11:56:46 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 9 August 2020 19:04:26 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:21:29 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

Thanks for that. FWIW we get 150ug of Boron in our daily multivitamin
but the arthritis isn't the only reason why I'm quite happy she's not
on a motorbike nowdays. ;-(

If that's micrograms that's nowhere near enough to be useful.

That's what we guarantee to get every day as a minimum, plus what we
get from our foods etc?

50mg a day split into 2 doses is more suited to treating arthritis.

And is this supposed to treat rather than halt?

If you compare soil boron levels versus incidencee of arthritis in various countries, the 2 clearly correlate. One can conclude from that that boron deficiency is likely a cause of arthritis. And sure enough it often clears it up completely. It's not the only factor, but it's a big one. Other significant causes include a high carb diet & not eating the right fats.

However I'm not a doc and not advising anything.

Understood.

I'd have a bike if they weren't donorcycles.

The vast majority aren't and may would rather go that way than in a
tin box of boredom and isolation. ;-)

I get it. Just not where my fun comes from

Has it ever, OOI?

Cheers, T i m

from motorcycles? no

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You can conclude no such thing. At the very most it is an observation
that might suggest a trial of supplementation to find out whether it is
completely unconnected or not.

And sure enough it often clears it up completely. It's not the only

factor, but it's a big one. Other significant causes include a high carb
diet & not eating the right fats.

However I'm not a doc and not advising anything.

Understood.

I'd have a bike if they weren't donorcycles.

The vast majority aren't and may would rather go that way than in a
tin box of boredom and isolation. ;-)

I get it. Just not where my fun comes from

Has it ever, OOI?

Cheers, T i m

from motorcycles? no

NT

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 August 2020 12:42:57 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

lots of people have tried it. Results have bene good.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 August 2020 13:25:30 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 03:42:27 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

If you compare soil boron levels versus incidencee of arthritis in various countries, the 2 clearly correlate.

But that could be the same as linking high cholesterol with the
consumption of *homogenised* cows milk? There *could* be other
lifestyle differences, not just the milk consumption, even though
there appears to be a direct correlation between such cultures that
consume homogenised and high cholesterol?

One can conclude from that that boron deficiency is likely a cause of arthritis.

But that could be dangerous, like assuming all vegan's *will* be B12
deficient or any more deficient than most omnivores etc?

again it has been much tried. We know what the deal is.

And sure enough it often clears it up completely. It's not the only factor, but it's a big one.

So why don't we all know about it?

you tell me

Other significant causes include a high carb diet & not eating the right fats.

Ok.

snip

I get it. Just not where my fun comes from

Has it ever, OOI?

from motorcycles? no

Then how would you know. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

know what?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 05/08/2020 15:58, GB wrote:
I've just fitted a new tap to our kitchen sink. It took me nearly 4
hours. That did include altering the pipework. Plus puzzling over the
instructions on the rather complicated Bristan Easyfit tap. Great taps,
awful instructions.

But 4 hours! I'd expect to pay a plumber no more than £100-150, and that
might well include coming to quote first.

I've been handymanning for 16 years. I was assembling some flat pack
while the man of the house started fitting a curtain rail. Nice bloke,
lent him my SDS, gave him some fixings.

Couldn't believe how long it took him. The point is, if you do
something often enough & for long enough you get quick at it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some of them cut corners / do awful work.

Years ago my sister in law wanted an extra socket to power a washing machine.

She wouldnt let me do it and €œgot an electrician in€

He put in a 13A trailing socket on a bit of flex (I think it had a 13A plug on the other end, dont remember).

It was just loose inside the cupboard.

I was appalled but said nothing.

Prior to that she had a cooker connection unit complete with 13A socket fitted.

The electric Board / company said you couldnt get flush mounted any more, only surface mount.

I personally think tap flexible connectors are a tool of the devil. But of course the trade love them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 21:38, John Rumm wrote:

There are ways of cheating with that - like screwing up vertical battens
to the wall about 4' apart and getting them plumb and co-planer. Then
slap the render on, and rule it off using the battens. Let it go off a
bit and remove the battens, then fill in the gaps.

Same idea as when you're concreting and there's nowhere to have shutters
round the edge, so you put the shutters somewhere in the area then pull
them out and shove more concrete in the holes.

Bill