Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do tradesmen earn a living?

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 10:55:40 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 18:06:06 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

The other day she wanted an extended spice rack, saw the prices of
them, found some 3D models on Thingiverse, sent me the link and asked
me if I would mind printing 3 sets, ordered sufficient lengths of ally
tube she cut to length (asked me how and I sent her to Screwfix for a
small pipe cutter) and assembled and fitted 3 x 10 spice racks for
next to nothing. ;-)

Spice racks are silly money for what little they are.

Yeah, that was the feeling I got from daughter but not is such nice
words. ;-)

And silly sized.

Yup. She bought 1m long x 6mm OD ally tube and first tested (mostly
for the S&G's) the rack (2 base tubes, one front tube higher up) by
assembling one at that length. Apart from it being too long at that
length for anyone practical in her kitchen, it proved it would have
required a central support (np with that, just print another end with
the holes right though). ;-)

Mine's 5, 6 or 8 feet long, I forget, can't fit em all onto it. I wouldn't know what to do with something that held 12 schwartz jars! Give it to someone that's not into spices I guess, someone that pays £1 for 12g of dried potplant.

If I had no practical skills I'd have a far poorer life.

Oh, indeed ... and I wonder how others can cope / survive.

I think they just become fodder. They pay through the nose over & over, can't solve their problems & can't afford to buy a house.

I found out recently some people I know also had their fridge freezers insured. So when one dies, they've paid more in premiums than it would cost me to go out & buy one immediately, and they get the added bonus of having to wait several days to receive it while their food all goes off.

But hey, I guess if we could all do everything there wouldn't be any
tradesmen. Everone to their own etc. ;-)

It would be a better world. We just wouldn't benefit from free stuff.

Cheers, T i m

NT