Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_10_] Jon Danniken[_10_] is offline

Default Rusty boat trailer

On 8/8/20 5:46 PM, David Billington wrote:

Do you have a galvanising plant nearby, it's a cheap bulk process and if
you're going to clean it back to bare metal will provide a better result
than paint. Need to make sure you don't have any enclosed box sections,
they would need to be vented to allow gas venting and drainage. My
neighbour has priced up galvanising versus painting in the past for
industrial plant and galvanising came out cheaper and more durable.
Paint need to be removed as the initial acid dip will remove rust and
scale but not paint, some galvanisers do offer a blasting service as it
can be used to provide a rougher surface to enable a thicker zinc
surface layer build-up. From the photos I would assume from the rust
that the trailer was not galvanised to start with just painted.

Interesting idea David, thanks for that, I'll call around and see what I
can find!

Jon