Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPS recommendations please

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'd look very hard at other makes before getting another APC. They
have (had?) a habit of cooking the batteries.

I think that reputation is not particularly deserved, ...

They don't seem to have quite the same problem these days.

All of mine (2x SU2200, 1x SU1400) are quite ancient, the beige cases,
not black.

Mine is Smart-UPS 700 manufactured 11/03/98 (it says) and been in
constant use since l bought it in the first half of '99. So
reliabilty of the unit isn't an issue.

The reasons I'm willing to be generous to mine a) they're designed to
withstand nuclear attack b) they were free.

I've got a 2.5 kVA (I think) APC Smart UPS stored. Needs batteries
but 4 x 17 AHr SLAs don't come cheap.

£102 delivered. https://www.tayna.co.uk/ups-batteries/powerline/pu220/