Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do tradesmen earn a living?

On Saturday, 8 August 2020 02:11:24 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

We tried the bring our daughter up with the same mindset ... she's a
person, not a girl or boy and therefore no reason why (again within
reason), she should be on the other end of the wardrobe getting it up
the stairs or servicing her own cycle / motorbike or car (and she does
all she can). When she was young I would take her motorcycling (on her
own bike) or to martial arts club and 'Mum' would take her ball room
dancing or to music lessons.

I am proud that she buys most of her clothes and furniture from the
charity shops, that she's happy with any hand-me-down smartphones I
can find her and that she gives most of her surplus stuff (inc
clothes) to the charity shop (mostly Isabel Hospice as that's where
her half sister died last year) and can paint and rearrange the
furniture in her own flat, rather than assuming she would need to get
'a man' to do it. I'm proud that we (this side of the family) have
taught her the real value of things, what's important, including
thinking of and caring for others. Being 'sensible / shrewd' with what
money she does earn means she can do more with what's left after
paying her rent and other expenses etc.

important life skills lacking in 99% of youngsters today