Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_10_] Jon Danniken[_10_] is offline

Default Rusty boat trailer

On 8/7/20 9:19 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 8/7/2020 2:45 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 8/6/20 7:45 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Is that a tube frame trailer or a C-channel trailer?

With C-channel the water drains away easier and faster, and you can
inspect it more easily.Â* What you see its what you get.

With tube frame trailers I suggest crawling underneath and tapping on
any suspicious looking spots and any low spots with a hammer.Â* Even
if they have a drain hole.Â* They tend to rust from the inside out,
and the hold moisture for a long time.

A buddy of mine has had me cut and patch the cross members on his
early 90s tube frame trailer a couple times.Â* A similar c-channel
trailer II have was built in 1950, and while I have had to work on it
the frame is not rusted through anywhere, and I have not had to
repair the frame. Well I did convert it from tilt to fixed by welding
it up, but that's it.Â* Neither has been in salt that I am aware of.

Hi Bob, the trailer is indeed C-channel.Â* Good news!

Jon

You still have to inspect it, but atleast now you can see everything.

Thanks Bob. Should I just tink it with a hammer and see what sound it
makes/make sure it doesn't turn to dust?

Jon