Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default DIY domestic electric vehicle charging point?

On 07/08/2020 10:14, Theo wrote:
Andrew wrote:
"Excessive heat can damage the battery. On hot sunny days, avoid leaving
the car in direct sunlight". Hmmm. Tricky, even in Southern England,
never mind Southern Europe.

I suspect they mean Arizona-scale 'hot', not Bournemouth.

Most EVs have active battery cooling so they can manage battery temperature.
If it's hooked up to a charger I expect it to do that. If it's not on a
charger I don't know whether it will expend some juice to cool the battery
while parked, maybe there is a setting for that. In Arizona when it's 40+C
ambient every day in the summer, cars can get up to 70C in the sun. That's
the sort of thing that's not good for batteries - getting them up to 40C
isn't a problem.

My loft is over 40C at the moment. Any dark-coloured car is going to
get very hot. At the moment my (metallic dark grey) car has an old sheet
over it, held in place with some nifty alloy clips that Range sell, in
a range of sizes. Keeps the inside much cooler.

Heat makes it worse, but they do still have EVs in Arizona and they last
well enough.

Theo