Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY domestic electric vehicle charging point?

Doable? Worth doing?

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of? I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
Doable? Worth doing?

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of? I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

Tim

I explored this a few years ago and found lots of info on-line but
decided to save the hassle so bought (and modified) a Rolec charge point
.... there are several on fleabay at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 12:42:01 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).
Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of?

- Your main supply may be inadequate especially if you already have electric heating or other high loads on a 40A or 60A supply. You might be able to have a fuse upgrade without a new service cable.

- There are specific rules about earthing for electric vehicle charge points and you may need a new earth rod installation. Earth rod testing is not a simple matter if you do the job properly - I suspect that most installers don't.

- For cheapest charging you may want a special tariff, which may need a meter change and a separate or dual-tariff consumer unit.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:

FTAOD, are we talking just installing a off the shelf charging unit, or
are you suggesting building a complete charger from the component level up?

Doable? Worth doing?

Yup, and only if doing the former!

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

ISTR there were some for England as well.

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of?

Much the same as any outdoor wiring project, with the possible
additional requirement of needing a type A RCD for protection. The
latest amendment to BS7671 has a bit more on vehicle charging.

(we probably ought to stick something in the wiki)

I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs

I rarely subscribe to that train of logic! Its seems far more sensible
to find out what you need to know before doing the job.

(that I get mildly narked by people telling me "its too difficult for
you, leave it to the pros!")

but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

Either would be ok, although you would probably need to confirm with the
fitter if doing the latter - they may not be as keen if they did not
have full control over the job.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug 2020 11:41:58 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Doable? Worth doing?

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the 1000 mark).

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of? I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

Hearing intermittant drilling outside this morning, I went to out to
see what was going on, and found electricians installing a charger
for the neighbour's new electric Kia.
Reading this thread I went out to see if it was all in his garage or
if it had an external connection.
It's all inside, it's a smart one that cost him 600 installed.
As his power supply is still 40A he has been warned about using other
high-drain devices at the same time but is going to get it upgraded to
80A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:

FTAOD, are we talking just installing a off the shelf charging unit, or
are you suggesting building a complete charger from the component level up?

Off the shelf. ;-)

[...]

Thanks for that John. Ive checked my main fuse and its got 100A on it so
I think Im okay from the supply side of things. We dont use our supply
for much other than normal domestic appliances and a underfloor heating in
a bathroom so I dont think well struggle on that score.

Thinking about positioning, I suspect the most useful place will be outside
rather than in our garage (which was my first thought). The cable run
would probably have to be under-floor where access is very limited and
there wouldnt really any option to fix the cable to anything. Is this
allowable? I guess itll have to be some sort of armoured cable.

Our earthing system seems to be a wide metal braided strap attached to the
incoming mains cable. (Looks like a lead sheath on the incomer.). Is this
okay?

Lastly, chargers seem to have varying levels of smarts built in. Are
these just gimmicks or does it depend on the car? I believe on some cars
charging intervals can be programmed into the car rather than into the
charging box. This is all new to me as you may have guessed. ;-)

Incidentally, for anyone who hasnt tried driving a car in one pedal mode
whereby braking progressively increases as you lift off the throttle, I
found it incredibly straightforward to get used to and found it really
useful in town traffic during my test drive today.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Our earthing system seems to be a wide metal braided strap attached to the
incoming mains cable. (Looks like a lead sheath on the incomer.). Is this
okay?

You need to read the regs on car charging and earthing (see John Ward's
youtube videos) unless you have a very fancy charger that can detach the
earth in fault conditions, you probably need a separate earth rod for
the car and not to connect it to you main earth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Thanks for that John. Ive checked my main fuse and its got 100A on it so
I think Im okay from the supply side of things. We dont use our supply
for much other than normal domestic appliances and a underfloor heating in
a bathroom so I dont think well struggle on that score.

Thinking about positioning, I suspect the most useful place will be outside
rather than in our garage (which was my first thought). The cable run
would probably have to be under-floor where access is very limited and
there wouldnt really any option to fix the cable to anything. Is this
allowable? I guess itll have to be some sort of armoured cable.

Armoured if it's buried and of a suitable derating for whatever it's going
to be embedded in (taking dozens of amps will cause it to get warm).

Our earthing system seems to be a wide metal braided strap attached to the
incoming mains cable. (Looks like a lead sheath on the incomer.). Is this
okay?

I think that's TNS. You'd need someone who knows to design a suitable
earthing system (ie that's above my pay grade!). Frequently installs get
the earthing wrong.

Lastly, chargers seem to have varying levels of smarts built in. Are
these just gimmicks or does it depend on the car? I believe on some cars
charging intervals can be programmed into the car rather than into the
charging box. This is all new to me as you may have guessed. ;-)

Assuming these are all AC charging points, the signalling is relatively
simple. It just says 'you can take XX amps at single/three phase'. The
charger is in the car and that's what's doing the power conversion.
A fancier charging box can be programmed to say 'you can take XX amps' at
a particular time, or when your solar panels are generating, or whatever,
but that's all it's doing. The installer can adjust the XX to suit your
installation - you don't need a supply sized for the maximum current the car
can take, although you do need to take into consideration the size of the
cables and what other loads in the house might draw at the same time.

Once you've hooked up the charging point you can also tell the car when to
take current - the box may say 'you can take XX amps' but the car's software
can decide not to draw it until midnight, or if the battery is more than 60%
full, or whatever you set it.

If it's a DC charger all the power conversion electronics is outside the
car, but that's rare in a home installation.

It's up to you as to whether the car has the necessary controls on charging,
or whether you'd like the box to do something extra.

Incidentally, for anyone who hasnt tried driving a car in one pedal mode
whereby braking progressively increases as you lift off the throttle, I
found it incredibly straightforward to get used to and found it really
useful in town traffic during my test drive today.

Do you have the ability to adjust the regen? Some prefer a more gentle
slowing down when you lift off, others prefer it more aggressive.

Traditional automatics behave like that to some extent, although the
slowdown on lifting up is very gentle (no braking, just losses).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

A fancier charging box can be programmed to say 'you can take XX amps' at
a particular time, or when your solar panels are generating, or whatever

Even fancier ones can measure how much is being used for other things,
subtract that from the mains capacity and add on what the solar is
generating, and dynamically tell the car how much it can take.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 12:42:01 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Doable? Worth doing?

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of? I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

Tim

Unless you are a travelling salesman, you don't need one.
A slow charger off a 13a plug will be fine overnight.
Every Kwh takes you about four miles.
So, a 13a/3Kw socket gives you 12 miles of range for every hour plugged in.

eg. Ten hours plugged in overnight therefore gives 120 miles of range.

Numbers may vary with other cars but this gives the ballpark figures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 3 August 2020 18:10:52 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

The charger has to limit the current delivered and shut down automatically when the battery is charged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The charger has to limit the current delivered and shut down
automatically when the battery is charged.

Generally the EVSE (box on the wall) limits the current, and the charger
(built into the car) stops when the battery is full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Thanks for the snipped info. I think its looking more like a get a man
in job for me anyway. ;-)

Incidentally, for anyone who hasnt tried driving a car in one pedal mode
whereby braking progressively increases as you lift off the throttle, I
found it incredibly straightforward to get used to and found it really
useful in town traffic during my test drive today.

Do you have the ability to adjust the regen? Some prefer a more gentle
slowing down when you lift off, others prefer it more aggressive.

Not in the Honda E. Reviews suggested that it can be a bit harsh in the
Honda and apart from ON/OFF, its not adjustable. The salesman suggested
that we *shouldnt* try it which was obviously either reverse psychology or
a red rag to a bull. Of course I HAD to try it. ;-)

Anyhow, despite it being my first ever experience of one pedal mode I loved
it. Felt like the future. Probably wouldnt use it much on the open road
but in town it was great.

Traditional automatics behave like that to some extent, although the
slowdown on lifting up is very gentle (no braking, just losses).

Which is what the Honda felt like with the one pedal mode off.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

Ive read that the 13A lead only charge at about 10A as the load is
continuous and your average 13A socket isnt entirely happy providing that
amount of power for any length of time.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Thanks for the snipped info. I think its looking more like a get a man
in job for me anyway. ;-)

Just so you know, these are the kind of thing the installer needs to
consider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZVx7GbAwlg
(long but worth watching to the end)

Interesting how he points out something that looks like TN-S might turn into
TN-C-S as a result of works in the street or further away.

If it were me I'd get a man in...

Anyhow, despite it being my first ever experience of one pedal mode I loved
it. Felt like the future. Probably wouldnt use it much on the open road
but in town it was great.

Apparently there are paddles on the steering wheel to select three modes of
regen (p398-403):
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/...0Honda%20e.pdf

I think it can be useful to tweak because for town you can use fairly
aggressive regen, while on the motorway you want something a bit more
gentle.

Looks like an interesting car

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2020 23:15, Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
[...]

"Excessive heat can damage the battery. On hot sunny days, avoid leaving
the car in direct sunlight". Hmmm. Tricky, even in Southern England,
never mind Southern Europe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
Doable? Worth doing?

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant gotchas that one needs to be aware of? I do realise that
this probably falls into the if you have to ask, you shouldnt be doing
it category of jobs but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

I did the car charging course and should know the answer but I have only
fitted one charging point in 2 years and I need to refresh my memory by
reading the literature I was given on the course again.

ISTR that the grants only apply if you are buying an electric car and
not in preparation for buying one in the future.

Car charging points are supposed to be notified to OLEV so that a record
can be kept for when the national grid is about to fail and the smart
meters can turn them off [1]

It will probably need a TT supply.

[1] That comment was from the tutor.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 18:03:32 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I assume it's so you can be heavily taxed later.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

So he didn't go for the whimsical idea that they could reverse the
direction of power delivery?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 18:03, ARW wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

can a Smart Meter just turn of the car charger, or does everthing go
off ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/08/2020 01:10, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

It was mentioned....

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/08/2020 16:42, Andrew wrote:
On 05/08/2020 18:03, ARW wrote:
On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

ATM everything.

I do expect that to change and so did the tutor.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
"Excessive heat can damage the battery. On hot sunny days, avoid leaving
the car in direct sunlight". Hmmm. Tricky, even in Southern England,
never mind Southern Europe.

I suspect they mean Arizona-scale 'hot', not Bournemouth.

Most EVs have active battery cooling so they can manage battery temperature.
If it's hooked up to a charger I expect it to do that. If it's not on a
charger I don't know whether it will expend some juice to cool the battery
while parked, maybe there is a setting for that. In Arizona when it's 40+C
ambient every day in the summer, cars can get up to 70C in the sun. That's
the sort of thing that's not good for batteries - getting them up to 40C
isn't a problem.

Heat makes it worse, but they do still have EVs in Arizona and they last
well enough.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
Andrew wrote:
"Excessive heat can damage the battery. On hot sunny days, avoid leaving
the car in direct sunlight". Hmmm. Tricky, even in Southern England,
never mind Southern Europe.

I suspect they mean Arizona-scale 'hot', not Bournemouth.

SWMBO destroyed the battery in her TomTom when parked in Surrey. I had
said take the unit indoors, but she 'forgot'.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

SWMBO destroyed the battery in her TomTom when parked in Surrey. I had
said take the unit indoors, but she 'forgot'.

AIUI, that's why some dashcams use supercaps instead of batteries, they
know they'll get left and cooked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 10:14, Theo wrote:
Andrew wrote:
"Excessive heat can damage the battery. On hot sunny days, avoid leaving
the car in direct sunlight". Hmmm. Tricky, even in Southern England,
never mind Southern Europe.

I suspect they mean Arizona-scale 'hot', not Bournemouth.

Most EVs have active battery cooling so they can manage battery temperature.
If it's hooked up to a charger I expect it to do that. If it's not on a
charger I don't know whether it will expend some juice to cool the battery
while parked, maybe there is a setting for that. In Arizona when it's 40+C
ambient every day in the summer, cars can get up to 70C in the sun. That's
the sort of thing that's not good for batteries - getting them up to 40C
isn't a problem.

My loft is over 40C at the moment. Any dark-coloured car is going to
get very hot. At the moment my (metallic dark grey) car has an old sheet
over it, held in place with some nifty alloy clips that Range sell, in
a range of sizes. Keeps the inside much cooler.