Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default UPS recommendations please

On 06/08/2020 01:05, Sn!pe wrote:
[N.B. Subject amended]

John Rumm wrote:

On 05/08/2020 20:36, charles wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2020 17:11, polygonum_on_google wrote:

[...]

Few will have a UPS, indeed. But many will have tablets, laptops,
phones, etc., which have a UPS effectively built-in as they are
battery devices.

Does not help much when your router and wifi is not powered...

I have a small UPS which supplies my FTTC router and modem which gives
me wifi.

Well same here - but I suspect we are in a tiny minority. Also having a
USP you can power the PON terminal as well - so it does not need its own
battery. However for those without a UPS the PON terminal running on its
own is pointless, so ergo, it does not need its own battery.

May I please have recommendations for a domestic UPS to
provide backup power to a FTTC modem, a router/WiFi AP
and a small Synology NAS for two hours or more? In this
case quality and reliabilty are more important than cost.

Doing the total load is easy... doing it for 2 hours is somewhat harder
(i.e. significantly more expensive). Typically you will need to over
spec the power handling capacity to also get the battery size and run
time. (having less run time, but comms between NAS and UPS to do a
graceful shutdown might make more sense)

First look at what you actual load is. You could be pulling 100W ish
from what you describe (depending on how many drives the NAS is
running), then run the numbers through a manufacturers calculator.

APC do expansion battery packs for some of their units. So for example a
1.5kVA Back-Ups Pro, and an external battery pack could hold up a 100W
load for over 3 hours - but might also set you back £600+

As to brand, I would tend to stick to the better known ones like APC or
MEM EATON simply because the software support is better, and more
devices will understand how to talk to them without any faffing about.

APC have a reputation for being hard on batteries [1], but work and
integrate well generally.

[1] Here is one I had some difficulty prising out of one of my 1kVA
Back-Ups units:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Wonkybatt1.jpg
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...wonkybatts.jpg

(installed March 2013, removed Dec 2017)

--
Cheers,

John.