Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB[_6_] GB[_6_] is offline

Default How do tradesmen earn a living?

On 06/08/2020 08:18, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 05/08/2020 16:59, Alan wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 15:58:02 +0100, GB wrote:

I've just fitted a new tap to our kitchen sink. It took me nearly 4
hours. That did include altering the pipework. Plus puzzling over the
instructions on the rather complicated Bristan Easyfit tap. Great taps,
awful instructions.

But 4 hours! I'd expect to pay a plumber no more than £100-150, and that
might well include coming to quote first.

I dont often do taps,but since lockdown I've had to do a number of
plumbing jobs, I reckon I'd be able to do it in well under a hour. I did
a deck mixer last week, I didnt adjust the pipework, took around 20
minutes.

But you never know what problems you are going to face left by the

For some reason the previous owner here wanted the kitchen sink taps the
"wrong way round". In other words, hot is on the right, and cold is on
the left. You have to push the quarter-turn taps away to turn them on!

You could swap the hot and cold cartridges, and then you'd be pulling
the taps to turn them on.

That would be bad enough, but the pipework was installed to fit that
design; the vertical pipes to the taps from the horizontal distributed
H/W supply would now be in the wrong place if it was decided to fit
normally-positioned taps. I suppose you could get away by crossing
flexible hoses, but it wouldn't look very good in the cupboard under the
sink. Otherwise it's a major mess-around with new pipes.