Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default UPS recommendations please

May I please have recommendations for a domestic UPS to
provide backup power to a FTTC modem, a router/WiFi AP
and a small Synology NAS for two hours or more? In this
case quality and reliabilty are more important than cost.

I already have a basic line-powered landline phone so there's
no need to provide for that. Also, my mobile phone can
provide limited WiFi hotspot data service, so I'd like to be
able to charge phones and iPads too.

TIA

My choice of UPS make would be APC.

You do need to size the UPS correctly so what you do is add up all the
total wattage of all the loads and then work out how many watt-hours
need by multiplying by the desired run time.

Then you add correction factors such as the UPS conversion efficiency
and power factor plus a margin to allow for eventual battery degradation
so you don't end up replacing the batteries sooner than expected if the
run time falls below your two hours. Budget for replacing the batteries
every 3 to 5 years.

You could consider also purchasing a PoE network switch as you can get
Poe To USB chargers for your ipads and iphones: see here for an example:

https://fsrinc.com/fsr-products-list...hrg-p2u-series

Most UPSes start beeping during a power cut. The whole point of a UPS is
to allow you to shut down your attached IT gear without having
catastrophic data loss. So a UPS typically gives you a grace time of say
5 to 15 minutes before it shuts down as if you discharge the batteries
too far, the battery lifetime is shortened.

If you are running your UPS for that length of time, The UPS's inverter
and batteries will be getting warmer than would be typical which will
certainly affect the lifetime and reliability of the UPS.

So you will need to check the Specs that the UPS you want really can run
for that long reliably.

Will the beeping of up to 2 hours drive you up the wall? :-)

Also many UPSes allow a direct conenction to either a USB equipped
computer or sometimes an ethernet connection. The UPS driver software on
the PC or server then has the ability to monitor the UPS and can
gracefully shut itself down within minutes of a power cut starting
before the UPS runs out of power. You can usually set a shutdown
threshold of when the batteries reach a X% of total battery capacity.

If this is not feasible at the location of teh UPS, you can use a
raspberry Pi with some UPS software on it and then you can SSH or Putty
or remote desktop into the Pi to check up on teh UPS state and reporting
logs.

Given that much of your hardware is on wall warts I wonder if a simple
car battery and a trickle car battery charger with some LM317Ts or even
some cigar lighter socket to Laptop PSUs set to the various voltages
required might be a more cost effective and electrically simpler and
more reliable option as then you do not have the conversion losses and
all the extra circuitry due to:

230 V AC mains to DC battery charging within the UPS
DC to AC inverter within the UPS
Then 220V AC to DC conversion via the various wall warts to the IT kit

vs

Car battery trickle charger from 220 V AC to 12V DC

Then a bank of LM317Ts set to the required DC voltages to the router,
ONT, Wifi AP thereby bypassing the wall warts entirely

This is one conversion efficiency loss only vs 3 sets of conversion
efficiency losses.

You can get Car Cigar socket USB based chargers which would then also
power your iPads and iPhones.

Another option to look at is a Honda Generator running on LPG gas
bottles or on Natural gas.

https://genconnexdirect.net/honda_pr...generators.htm

You can even wire two Honda generators in parallel via a kit and have an
automatic start device in case of a power loss. An ordinary UPS can then
cover the transition betwene grid power and locally generated power.

In my experience, a natural gas supply or a Propane tank seems more
reliable than a nation grid supply.....

HTH,

S.