Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default DIY domestic electric vehicle charging point?

ARW wrote:

On 03/08/2020 12:41, Tim+ wrote:
Doable? Worth doing?

In Scotland I see that there are grants available for professional
installations (which seem to be around the £1000 mark).

Are there significant savings to be had by DIYing it and are there any
significant "gotchas" that one needs to be aware of? I do realise that
this probably falls into the "if you have to ask, you shouldn't be doing
it" category of jobs but just curious to know if a) you averagely competent
DIYer could do it or b) make some saving by installing an appropriate
unconnected cable for a sparky to finish off?

I did the car charging course and should know the answer but I have only
fitted one charging point in 2 years and I need to refresh my memory by
reading the literature I was given on the course again.

ISTR that the grants only apply if you are buying an electric car and
not in preparation for buying one in the future.

Car charging points are supposed to be notified to OLEV so that a record
can be kept for when the national grid is about to fail and the smart
meters can turn them off [1]

It will probably need a TT supply.

[1] That comment was from the tutor.

So he didn't go for the whimsical idea that they could reverse the
direction of power delivery?

--

Roger Hayter