Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default FTTP installation

On 05/08/2020 20:36, charles wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2020 17:11, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 15:47:07 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

However they are moving toward disbanding the copper network, and
FTTP will become the default install even if all you want is voice.
That will then be provided by VoIP on a "slow" (500Kbps) FTTP
service. It may be that for voice only users they will provide the
battery backup.

(they probably figure for data users, its a moot point since few of
them will have a UPS to hold up all their other IT kit to actually
benefit from the broadband staying up during a power cut)

Few will have a UPS, indeed. But many will have tablets, laptops,
phones, etc., which have a UPS effectively built-in as they are
battery devices.

Does not help much when your router and wifi is not powered...

I have a small UPS which supplies my FTTC router and modem which gives me
wifi.

Well same here - but I suspect we are in a tiny minority. Also having a
USP you can power the PON terminal as well - so it does not need its own
battery. However for those without a UPS the PON terminal running on its
own is pointless, so ergo, it does not need its own battery.

--
Cheers,

John.