Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FTTP installation

Virgin have let me keep copper on the landline as I'm considered vulnerable
due to being blind and living on my own.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 14:31:03 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 14:14:36 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Looks like they have "cost reduced" the install and done away with the
battery backup for the PON terminal. (they used to include the
termination and the battery backup both installed in a larger wall mount
box:

Think that went out the window a year or more ago. Not sure why.
Maybe that as "everyone has a mobile" these days the expectation is
for that to work under local power fail conditions. That might be a
reasonable assumption in built areas where there is reliable blanket
coverage and a mobile can see many cell sites and the chances being
not all of them will be affected by the power outage. Doesn't work
quite so well in rural areas with patchy coverage and a single cell
serving many square miles.

Or peoples expectations have changed, power goes, normal life comes
to a crashing halt.

The battery backup was not supplied when ours was installed at the start of
December 2019 - looks as if it was done away with some months prior.

Unlike many, our phone line remains on copper. The ONT's phone socket is
dead. (When they installed FTTP, I plugged the phone into the ONT and
nothing happened. It was all checked out at the time and someone had
intentionally not switched our phone over to fibre.)

This works to our advantage in that we might lose internet but the phone
should be as reliable as any POTS phone.