Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FTTP installation

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:34:33 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Even nicer would be if the ONT (or whatever they call it) could accept
power over ethernet, instead of needing a wallwart,

+1

What does the ONT live on? You can get fixed voltage, 15 W output,
PoE spliters at 5 or 12 V for about a tenner now. I've got a 5 V
output one for powering a Pi III via PoE, this was going to have and
SDR dongle attached and shoved some where out of the way. Trouble is
the PoE splitter produces a lot of interference. Not yet chased that
down to actual RF radiation and/or a horrible amount of noise on the
supply.

I use a TP-Link PoE adpater for the blitzortung receiver. That
required an LC filter in the power lines to tame it. B-)

I know most people won't have a PoE switch yet, but even a remote power
injector would look neater

And could be placed far more conviently and maybe on the UPS that
keeps other kit up in the event of a power outage.

--
Cheers
Dave.