Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How do tradesmen earn a living?

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:58:02 +0100, GB
wrote:

I've just fitted a new tap to our kitchen sink. It took me nearly 4
hours. That did include altering the pipework. Plus puzzling over the
instructions on the rather complicated Bristan Easyfit tap. Great taps,
awful instructions.

But 4 hours! I'd expect to pay a plumber no more than £100-150, and that
might well include coming to quote first.

The bigger question is how often would they do as good a job as you
might (assuming a reasonable level of physical competency that is)?

You want it right and may well delay the job whilst locating the right
stuff to do it with. A tradesman may have other commitments and can
only do what he/she can, what they can get quickly and easily or
what's on their van (of come back, costing more money).

You might also take longer because you may not have the tools they do
or the familiarity of doing the job. Now you have fitted that tap, how
long would it take to do another?

Cheers, T i m