Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default FTTP installation

John Rumm wrote:
Following a thread on uk.telecom this might be of use to people here
contemplating FTTPÂ* as well.

https://vps.templar.co.uk/index.php?...20installation

That's Openreach FTTP btw, other networks vary.

What is in the external box?

On ours it was just a joint between the dropwire and the pigtail that goes
through the wall. I assume the pigtail comes pre-terminated in an SC/APC
connector so they don't have to put one on the dropwire.

Looks like they have "cost reduced" the install and done away with the
battery backup for the PON terminal. (they used to include the
termination and the battery backup both installed in a larger wall mount
box:

Since 2018. I think they decided the battery backup wasn't much use - it
only had 4x 2000mAh NiMH cells in it (about 10Wh, or about the average
battery in a mobile), so it wasn't a backup for very long. And you'll
probably find the cells are dead when you come to need it in any case (ours
were when we moved in, an OR engineer changed them).

The handwave being assuming you have a mobile for emergencies - apparently
they will fit a BBU 'on an exceptional basis' for those who depend on their
landline for voice. If that were me I'd look at a UPS or a more substantial
solution than what's effectively a £5 powerbank.

Interesting they actually made use of the copper pair in the drop
wire... On mine they just wound it up near the termination and saved it
for some future time if required (there are already 2 x pots drop wires
into the house). They did moan that the very thin teflon insulated wire
was very difficult to strip and use!

Ours had a pre-existing copper pair that was used for voice, with the fibre
being separate.

Theo