Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Painting problem

On 05/08/2020 10:00, Scott wrote:
Following my previous thread about painting an MDF shelf, all of the
preparation went to plan. I used oil-based primer and full undercoat.
I am now applying [oil based] eggshell as the topcoat.

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven. I
can think of two possible explanations:

1. To try to do the job with only one brush, I used a 12 mm brush. I
think the paint may be drying too quickly to allow me to achieve an
even finish.

2. I found the paint in the the garage and it is quite old (though I
cannot see anything wrong with it). I stirred it thoroughly and there
is no significant residue at the bottom.

I wondered about any comments from the experts here.

MDF fibres will be raised and need rubbing down between coats to flatten
the surface.
TW