Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting problem

Following my previous thread about painting an MDF shelf, all of the
preparation went to plan. I used oil-based primer and full undercoat.
I am now applying [oil based] eggshell as the topcoat.

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven. I
can think of two possible explanations:

1. To try to do the job with only one brush, I used a 12 mm brush. I
think the paint may be drying too quickly to allow me to achieve an
even finish.

2. I found the paint in the the garage and it is quite old (though I
cannot see anything wrong with it). I stirred it thoroughly and there
is no significant residue at the bottom.

I wondered about any comments from the experts here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Following my previous thread about painting an MDF shelf, all of the
preparation went to plan. I used oil-based primer and full undercoat.
I am now applying [oil based] eggshell as the topcoat.

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven.

Spray gun or short pile roller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvAZYYwpNXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htrEiKrD7AY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 10:00:52 +0100, Scott wrote:

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven. I
can think of two possible explanations:

Brush marks with most gloss paint are almost inevitable. The only
paint I've used that flattened itself well was one of the "one coat"
ones(*).

1. To try to do the job with only one brush, I used a 12 mm brush. I
think the paint may be drying too quickly to allow me to achieve an
even finish.

How wide/long is the shelf? Anything bigger than A4 and your not
going to be able to get enough paint on thick/fast enough for it to
"self level". Gloss painting is a bit like plastering (without the
polishing stage), Whack it on, spread it out to stop runs, couple of
strokes to smooth over and LEAVE IT ALONE.

(*) Possibly becasue it covered so well I followed the above better
than I normally do, particulary the leaving it alone.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 10:00, Scott wrote:
Following my previous thread about painting an MDF shelf, all of the
preparation went to plan. I used oil-based primer and full undercoat.
I am now applying [oil based] eggshell as the topcoat.

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven. I
can think of two possible explanations:

1. To try to do the job with only one brush, I used a 12 mm brush. I
think the paint may be drying too quickly to allow me to achieve an
even finish.

2. I found the paint in the the garage and it is quite old (though I
cannot see anything wrong with it). I stirred it thoroughly and there
is no significant residue at the bottom.

I wondered about any comments from the experts here.

MDF fibres will be raised and need rubbing down between coats to flatten
the surface.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:21:58 +0100, TimW wrote:

[...]

I did that. The main problem is a patchiness in the finish
corresponding with each time I recharged the brush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:10:21 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

Following my previous thread about painting an MDF shelf, all of the
preparation went to plan. I used oil-based primer and full undercoat.
I am now applying [oil based] eggshell as the topcoat.

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven.

Spray gun or short pile roller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvAZYYwpNXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htrEiKrD7AY

It oil paint though. Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

It oil paint though. Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?

Toolsatan £4 for ten
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:49:28 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

It oil paint though. Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?

Toolsatan £4 for ten

That would appear to be the answer. I certainly didn't fancy trying
to clean a roller using white spirit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott wrote:

It oil paint though. Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?

Toolsatan £4 for ten

That would appear to be the answer. I certainly didn't fancy trying
to clean a roller using white spirit.

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 12:18:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2020 10:58, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 10:49:28 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

It oil paint though.Â* Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?

Toolsatan £4 for ten

That would appear to be the answer.Â* I certainly didn't fancy trying
to clean a roller using white spirit.

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

I use cling-film. A couple of layers will keep the brushes moist for a week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 10:40, Scott wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like you need to thin the topcoat a bit. And definitely use
a wider brush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 12:18:20 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

I remember the first time I tried that (with a full size roller). It's how I discovered that some rollers are in fact made from card!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
Following my previous thread about painting an MDF shelf, all of the
preparation went to plan. I used oil-based primer and full undercoat.
I am now applying [oil based] eggshell as the topcoat.

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven. I
can think of two possible explanations:

1. To try to do the job with only one brush, I used a 12 mm brush. I
think the paint may be drying too quickly to allow me to achieve an
even finish.

2. I found the paint in the the garage and it is quite old (though I
cannot see anything wrong with it). I stirred it thoroughly and there
is no significant residue at the bottom.

I wondered about any comments from the experts here.

Try a real paintbrush?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 12:18:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

One can also stick the foam roller in water ... load it with paint generously,
stick it in, take it out later. Any water that doesn't shake out will form a
drop that sits on the wet paint, and a rag will pick it off easily.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

One can also stick the foam roller in water ... load it with paint generously,
stick it in, take it out later. Any water that doesn't shake out will form a
drop that sits on the wet paint, and a rag will pick it off easily.

Does this work okay with oil-based eggshell?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott wrote:

It oil paint though. Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?

Toolsatan £4 for ten

That would appear to be the answer. I certainly didn't fancy trying
to clean a roller using white spirit.

the white spirit probably cost more than the roller and paint combined.
If wanting to use the roller again, say within a day, wrap it in cling
film or a plastic bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott wrote:

It oil paint though. Does that mean using a disposable roller) if
such a thing exists)?

Toolsatan £4 for ten

That would appear to be the answer. I certainly didn't fancy trying
to clean a roller using white spirit.

the white spirit probably cost more than the roller and paint combined.
If wanting to use the roller again, say within a day, wrap it in cling
film or a plastic bag.

Exactly my line of thinking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2020 10:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 10:00:52 +0100, Scott wrote:

However, even after about four coats, the topcoat remains uneven. I
can think of two possible explanations:

Brush marks with most gloss paint are almost inevitable. The only
paint I've used that flattened itself well was one of the "one coat"
ones(*).

1. To try to do the job with only one brush, I used a 12 mm brush. I
think the paint may be drying too quickly to allow me to achieve an
even finish.

How wide/long is the shelf? Anything bigger than A4 and your not
going to be able to get enough paint on thick/fast enough for it to
"self level". Gloss painting is a bit like plastering (without the
polishing stage), Whack it on, spread it out to stop runs, couple of
strokes to smooth over and LEAVE IT ALONE.

The trick I've seen is to get it on fast with a roller and then use a
GOOD Quality wide brush to go lightly over once to even out the paint.
The technique seems to rely on getting the paint on very fast and not
over working it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

One can also stick the foam roller in water ... load it with paint generously,
stick it in, take it out later. Any water that doesn't shake out will form a
drop that sits on the wet paint, and a rag will pick it off easily.

Does this work okay with oil-based eggshell?

It has for me! YMMV, though.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The mini foam rollers are handy. If you need to stop painting for a
period (up to a couple of days) then don't bother trying to clean the
roller, just tightly wrap up the business end in a large plastic bag -
that will keep it "wet" until you next need it.

One can also stick the foam roller in water ... load it with paint generously,
stick it in, take it out later. Any water that doesn't shake out will form a
drop that sits on the wet paint, and a rag will pick it off easily.

Does this work okay with oil-based eggshell?

It has for me! YMMV, though.

Yes, I suppose of water and oil do not mix the water could provide
better protection that white spirit would. I hadn't though of that.