Posted to uk.d-i-y
Farmer Giles[_2_] Farmer Giles[_2_] is offline

Default shed roof

On 04/08/2020 20:50, Jimk wrote:
Farmer Giles Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 13:35, Jimk wrote:
Farmer Giles Wrote in message:
On 04/08/2020 11:10, TimW wrote:
This is an ordinary timber garden shed 8' x 10' (2.4m x 3m),
the roof is
felt on treated sw boards on 3x2 purlins, a central ridge and a
shallow
pitch of maybe 15deg. Very standard cheap wooden shed. Over 20
yrs I
have refelted and half re felted and it's leaking again, and
the soffit
boards are totally rotted. The rest of the shed is of no
particular
quality, and a a bit wobbly.

I was thinking of covering the roof with something better,
hoping to
extend its life and usefulness - what would be good? Onduline?
galvanised steel? plywood and a rubber type sheet? some kind of
new
material?

TW

Box profile sheets. Cheapish and durable.

Awkward to transport cut & handle

Get them cut to size and delivered, that's what I have always done
- and
I've never found them difficult or awkward to handle.

I was thinking of the standard 6m lengths...

Well, yes, in that case cutting them is a nightmare. Suppliers will
generally cut them to size.

https://tinyurl.com/yxm8v4ey

The link rather illustrates another potential point - minimum
length 6ft? Sounds bit long for a typical pitch roof shed? So
then we potentially still have the faff of cutting
it...

It does say 'can be cut to length on request'. My local supplier will
cut them down to less than 1 metre.

How do you stop the cut ends going rusty though ?

I've never had any problems with that. Anyway, they're all cut from a
flat continuous steel roll which is fed into the profile machine, then
cut to whatever length is required. So all the ends are cut.

How do they gain the colours then?

That's how the steel rolls come - when I go to my supplier I see the
rolls lying around in the various colours.